Type Certification approval to add ADS-B Out and In for the 162

More
9 months 3 weeks ago #1515 by STEVE ELLS
Hi Randy;
Since the 162 is an LSA any changes must be approved by Cessna, the manufacturer. On June 13, 2019 Cessna issued Service Bulletin SB 19-34-01, a 21 page bulletin that provides approval and installation instructions for the installation of a Garmin GDL 82 ADS-B Out unit.
As I understand the rules, this is the only ADS-B out installation that is approved for installation in your 162.
Fortunately the Garmin GDL 82 is relatively inexpensive and is pretty easy to install.
On the minus side, the GDL 82 is a 978 UAT transmitter, which means it can only be used in the Continental US; no other country recognizes the 978 UAT ADS-B Out format.

I have attached the service bulletin; that should be all your avionics shop requires to install ADS-B Out.
Happy Flying

This browser does not support PDFs. Please download the PDF to view it: Download PDF

Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
10 months 1 week ago - 10 months 1 week ago #1499 by JOSE LOPEZ DEL PUERTO
Is an aircraft modification needed? If not, you are covered.

Attachments:
Last edit: 10 months 1 week ago by JOSE LOPEZ DEL PUERTO.

More
10 months 1 week ago #1498 by Randall Bearden
I am buying a C162 and routinely fly into class C airspace so I need ADS-B out and in per the 2020 mandate. After talking with Garmin they would not help until I have permission to add the equipment. Has anyone else been through this with Cessna? If so what is the process of getting approval or is there something out there that covers the 162 already.

Thanks,
Randy Bearden

Time to create page: 0.185 seconds