fuel level indicator for 1962 Cessna 175C

More
2 years 4 months ago #1969 by STEVE ELLS
Replied by STEVE ELLS on topic fuel level indicator for 1962 Cessna 175C
Hi Charles;
I'm not "no doubt" positive that there isn't a commercial fuel dipstick for your 175C somewhere out there, but I seriously doubt it. As I recall the 175 fuel tank capacity is singular to that model, so the stick for another like model (such as the 172) won't be correct..
Undoubtedly, the best way to get an accurate fuel dipstick is to make one.
I made on for my airplane out of a piece of bamboo. Actually I made one and then made three more as back ups.
I found that the fuel vendor at my airport was willing to send his truck and fill my left and right tanks with 5 gallons at a time.
The other important step is to make sure your airplane is on level ground while you're doing the dipstick calibration process.
PS. Fly the fuel down to the lowest level you're comfortable with, then drain the rest of the fuel from each tank. PLEASE ATTACH A GROUNDING WIRE BETWEEN YOUR AIRPLANE AND THE BARREL OR CAN YOU'RE DRAINING THE FUEL INTO. Static electricity is the real deal and has caused many fires--with loss of airplanes--during refuel operations.
Please measure your findings and post the dimensions on this forum to help other forum members.
Thanks
Steve

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Charles Gill
  • Charles  Gill's Avatar Topic Author
  • Subscriber
  • Subscriber
More
2 years 4 months ago #1966 by Charles Gill
fuel level indicator for 1962 Cessna 175C was created by Charles Gill
I am trying to find a fuel level indicator that works for my 1962 Cessna 175C. I purchased a Fuel Hawk 26.5 gal. tube type thinking it would be close enough for the 52 gallon tank on C-175 but when I drained the tank 5 gallons at a time it did not come close to matching the numbers on the gauge. Is there one out there that does and where can I purchase one? Or do I just need to re-etch the one I have?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.177 seconds