Cessna 172F engine conversions.

• Kent Dellenbusch
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
2 weeks 4 days ago #3017 by Kent Dellenbusch
Replied by Kent Dellenbusch on topic Cessna 172F engine conversions.
Thanks Steve.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 weeks 4 days ago #3016 by STEVE ELLS
Replied by STEVE ELLS on topic Cessna 172F engine conversions.
Hi Mark,
I have installed an AirPlains 180 hp upgrade in a 172.
I believe this power upgrade is the best solution because it's proven, it's simple, the combination of the 180 hp carbureted engine and the fixed pitch prop will provide years of good service with few upkeep headaches.

What you may not know about his upgrade is the potential to add an additional 200 pounds to your 172 maximum take off weight (MTOW) This upgrade does require a bit of re inforcing in the tail section but it's very straight forward.

After I did this upgrade for a local flight school, the 180 172 became the most rented airplane. I think this was because there were no new operating steps to take-it operated just like the stock 172, it turned in better climbs and air speeds and it felt more like a "real" airplane.

There are other upgrades for more power but the ones I found involved modification to accommodate a fuel injection system and a constant speed prop.

I suggest you study and talk to the people at Air Plains. In my opinion, you do not need a constant speed prop--it adds complication, weight and increased costs.

Let me know if I can help further,

STeve
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mark Salisbury

• Kent Dellenbusch
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
2 weeks 5 days ago #3013 by Kent Dellenbusch
Replied by Kent Dellenbusch on topic Cessna 172F engine conversions.
Hi Mark,

I am looking to see if Katie at AirPlanes has a past customer who had a 172F upgraded so you can talk to them personally. I do know that of our members that have worked with Airplaines they have all be very happy. This of course is from a simple airbox to an engine upgrade. I should hear something back from Katie early this coming week.

Kent
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mark Salisbury

More
2 weeks 6 days ago #3012 by Mark Salisbury
Replied by Mark Salisbury on topic Cessna 172F engine conversions.
Interested in knowing if you upgraded your 172F. I have a 172 H model and am in the process where you were 2 years ago. Talked to Air Plains and they seemed very helpful. Would like to talk to a few people who actually upgraded their aircraft.

More
2 years 3 weeks ago #1487 by Jen D
Replied by Jen D on topic Cessna 172F engine conversions.
I don't have personal experience but I know that Air Plains has an STC for the 172F:

www.airplains.com/cessna-172-d-h-conversion

Jen

• Jonathan Cook
  • Jonathan Cook's Avatar Topic Author
  • Subscriber
  • Subscriber
More
2 years 3 weeks ago #1486 by Jonathan Cook
Cessna 172F engine conversions. was created by Jonathan Cook
I am interested in the engine conversions available for the early 172F model. I am wondering if anyone can give me some real life experience pro's/con's on the conversions available on the market and what can be expected performance wise with them? I am really personally interested in the constant speed stc's

Thanks!

Time to create page: 0.137 seconds