Main landing gear toe-in on C172 L

More
3 months 1 week ago #1963 by JOSE LOPEZ DEL PUERTO
Mark,
Below is the opinion of a A&P with experience in this matter . Hope it helps you.

"I maintain several Cessna 172. To the best of my knowledge none of the tubular gear 150-172's use an alignment shim. Every one of the Cessna's wear the tire on the outside and I rotate the tire and get additional life. You do need to deflate the tire and disassemble the wheel. Once apart you should make note of the valve position and remove the tube. Reinstall the tube with the valve pointing to the outside of the newly positioned tire and reassemble. While the wheel half's are apart I usually service the tapered roller wheel bearings with fresh grease. The thru bolts require retorquiing."

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 months 1 week ago #1958 by JOSE LOPEZ DEL PUERTO

You are right, Mark. The landing gear looks the same and I never realized the difference. Hopefully someone will chime in with a fix.
Attachments:

More
3 months 1 week ago #1955 by MARK CASTELLETTI
Jose, thanks for the quick reply, but unfortunately the 172 does not have a place to put in angled shims like your 182 does. The spindles are bonded onto the end of the tubular struts. Not sure if all years after Cessna went away from the spring steel struts are this same design. But it sure seems strange for Cessna to have a spec range with no way to make adjustments.

More
3 months 1 week ago #1954 by JOSE LOPEZ DEL PUERTO
My 1979 182Q, with tubular landing gear, uses metal wedges to adjust the toe-in.

Attachments:

More
3 months 1 week ago #1953 by MARK CASTELLETTI
I measured the total toe-in of my main landing gear using the method shown in the Cessna service manual. I’m at .227 inches, well out of the Cessna spec range of 0-.18 inches. This airplane has tubular main struts and according to the manual, there is no means of adjustment. I cam see my main wheels pinch in, then skip out over and over again while I taxi. And I can feel some shuddering similar to nose wheel shimmy. My airplane is sitting level and the toe-in is equal on both sides, so I do not think the the struts are bent due to hard landings or sagged over time. Is the only solution to this out-of-spec condition replacement of the landing gear? That cost is very high, and even if I was willing to buy new struts, how would I know for sure that the new parts would fix the issue?

I guess my question is: have others had this same issue, and is there a known solution? Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Time to create page: 0.299 seconds