Engine Shudder

More
4 days 3 hours ago #3565 by STEVE ELLS
Replied by STEVE ELLS on topic Engine Shudder
Hi Ted,
OK. Glad it was something simple.

It's perfectly OK, in fact it's preferred to prevent this type of mishap, to lean as soon as you start taxiing.

Steve

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Ted Hogan
  • Ted Hogan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Subscriber
  • Subscriber
More
4 days 5 hours ago #3563 by Ted Hogan
Replied by Ted Hogan on topic Engine Shudder
Thanks. It was the lower plug on #4. Too much carbon. Not leaning the engine enough.
Thanks for all the help

More
1 week 2 hours ago #3559 by Carl Ziegler
Replied by Carl Ziegler on topic Engine Shudder
Would be nice to know how many hours on engine? I would also suggest trying some Avblend, while Conts "generally" do not have top end valve sticking issues, what you describes sounds like classic minor sticking. Would be helpfull if you can get the download to work to see if it is a specific cylinder. Next time happens,,, try scanning the egts as fast as you can to see if one out of kilter. Unless the carb has gas stains all around it, i'd hold off on that .

• Ted Hogan
  • Subscriber
  • Subscriber
More
2 weeks 4 days ago #3554 by Ted Hogan
Replied by Ted Hogan on topic Engine Shudder
Ok thanks. That gives me some starting points.

More
2 weeks 4 days ago #3552 by STEVE ELLS
Replied by STEVE ELLS on topic Engine Shudder
Wow Ted, why don't you give me an easy one?
As I'm sure you know, troubleshooting intermittent problems over the internet can be sketchy.

Now days I like to ask owners if any of the spark plugs in their engines have more than 5,000 ohms resistance between the ignition lead contact end and the end of the center electrode. Any plug with more than 5000 ohms should be replaced.

Can you see any place where the P lead might be worn, or the shield of the lead is worn or crappy looking?

Can you see any place where a spark plug lead is touching metal (engine mount or engine) ?

Could you have a intake seal leak?

Has your mechanic drained the carburetor fuel bowl to check for water?? I know you mentioned the fuel is clean; sometimes the fuel bowl isn't drained.

Visually inspect the induction system cross over tube at the front of the engine. I've seen those worn through due to a worn stand off rubber.

That's where I would start.

Let me know if you find anything,

Best,
Steve

• Ted Hogan
  • Subscriber
  • Subscriber
More
2 weeks 5 days ago #3547 by Ted Hogan
Engine Shudder was created by Ted Hogan
Engine Concern. I have a 182N. I have been getting an occasional shudder in flight. It last only a second or two otherwise the engine runs very smooth. O470 Continental. Fuel is clean, Carb Heat makes no difference. I have a JPI 830 but cant get the software to open it working yet. My AME suggested the Carb but hasnt looked at it yet. It is a very random event. Any known issues or suggestions?
Thanks

Time to create page: 0.112 seconds