Shimmy Damper Photos needed for 1963 182F

More
2 weeks 6 days ago #2035 by STEVE ELLS
Hi Michael;
the body of your shimmy dampener bolts onto what's called the torque arm assembly on the copilot's side. The steering control rod comes through the firewall and bolts onto the pilot's side of that assembly.

Please take a photo of the torque arm assembly and post it.

If there truly is no shimmy dampener on your nose gear, your airplane is not airworthy. For what it's worth, I have never seen or heard of a C-182 that is successfully flying without a shimmy dampener installed.

There is a 182 out at the local airport. I will try to get a photo of it to post here later today.

Best,
Steve

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 weeks 2 days ago #2033 by Michael Dieck
My recently purchased 182F does not have a nose wheel shimmy damper installed. I've researched the IPC and MM but the illustrations are pretty vague. I've looked at the nose strut for attaching points and really did not see them (cowling removed). I'm hoping someone with a similar vintage 182 could post a few photos of the shimmy damper and its attaching points.

I'm now wondering if there was a damaged part on the strut that was filed or ground smooth to disguise removal of the shimmy damper. I did have a little bit of a shimmy during a high speed taxi run but not on takeoff or landing with the nose raised high.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.147 seconds