Stuck flaps

More
3 months 1 week ago #2055 by David Garber
Replied by David Garber on topic Stuck flaps
Had a similar problem with my 182P a month or so ago. Ultimately found it was caused by corrosion in the flap motor connector in the right wing. As stated by others, remove inspection plate, find connector coming from flap motor (should have one red and one black wire from flap motor), unplug connector, clean pins/sockets, reassemble, test. Worked for me.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 months 2 weeks ago #2042 by Tom Clifford
Replied by Tom Clifford on topic Stuck flaps
Myself and quite a few others have found a bit of corrosion on the terminals of the micro switch in the wing. When your flaps are stuck, remove inspection plate, reach in and remove and replace wires by flap motor. Good luck.

More
3 months 2 weeks ago #2040 by David David
Replied by David David on topic Stuck flaps
After posting the question I spent some time with the service manual. (although I missed the schematic in section 20) I think you are right about the switch cam. I've got a Borescope on order and am going to see if we can have a look at how the switches are aligned through full range of travel. Thanks for the tip about disconnecting the cable.

I've also considered the UP limit switch might be stuck. That would allow the flaps to move down, but not up. I suspect getting to that switch is a pia.

More
3 months 3 weeks ago #2037 by STEVE ELLS
Replied by STEVE ELLS on topic Stuck flaps
Hi Dave;
There's something wrong!
The first things I think of are: mis rigged microswitches on the pivoting plate located forward of the flap handle. The fact that the flaps fail to respond at the 10 and 20 degree settings points at that assembly.

Full flaps up and full flaps down are controlled by different microswitches, but the intermediate positions are controlled by the two microswitches on that pivoting plate.

Try disconnecting the follow up cable from the flaps at the mechanism behind the panel; then manually move the mechanism through it's full motion to see you you see any slop in the switch cam (connected to the flap handle) or any friction of loss of motion in the assembly that activates the pivoting plate. Lube all pivoting points.

Since it only happens in flight, I expect vibration is causal. This tells me that there's something loose somewhere.

I've attached two pages from the service manual and an electrical schematic of the flap control system.

Please tell me what you find.

Thanks
Steve

This browser does not support PDFs. Please download the PDF to view it: Download PDF

This browser does not support PDFs. Please download the PDF to view it: Download PDF

Attachments:

More
3 months 3 weeks ago - 3 months 3 weeks ago #2036 by David David
Stuck flaps was created by David David
Over the past several years we have had our flaps stick in our 182P, usually in a 10 or 20 degree position. Sometime extending them further will allow them to retract, other times they stay stuck until landing. It is never repeatable in the shop and we have spend 5 or 6 shop hours trouble shooting this. The only thing that has been replaced is S-1906 microswitch. Trying to be more proactive on this as we appear to be in a pattern of turning it into the shop they charge us for looking at it, it works fine on the ground and give it back. Any ideas?

Anyone know where I can fine a detailed schematic of this circuit. Perhaps with my trusty DMM I can find something before we just start replacing parts.
Last edit: 3 months 3 weeks ago by David David. Reason: Added question.

Time to create page: 0.124 seconds