one cold CHT.

More
5 days 8 hours ago #2276 by DARIN DIVINIA
Replied by DARIN DIVINIA on topic one cold CHT.
Sure thing- hopefully it will save some people time and money.

Eventually I will do a panel upgrade and this issue will go away.

For now, I am good with it.

Regards,
D.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
5 days 9 hours ago #2275 by STEVE ELLS
Replied by STEVE ELLS on topic one cold CHT.
Hi Darin;
Thank you for posting all these pictures.
Steve

More
6 days 16 hours ago #2272 by DARIN DIVINIA
Another option instead of the piggy back it to put a spark plug CHT probe on either the upper or lower cylinder. I tried both. The top one read cold and the bottom one ran hot. I left it with the piggy back and decided enough was enough.

D.

Upper Plug

Lower Plug - note the orange heat protection int he background. That is the factory CHT and LIP piggy back location.

I hope it is helpful. Let me know if you have questions.

D.
Attachments:

More
6 days 16 hours ago #2271 by DARIN DIVINIA
Here is a standard JPI CHT probe screwed into the cylinder behind it. (not a piggy back version like I have to use on the CHT 1 due to the factory primary required primary CHT gauge).

Attachments:

More
6 days 16 hours ago - 6 days 15 hours ago #2270 by DARIN DIVINIA
The cowling is off my 182S for annual and I snapped some pics to show the situation better.

This picture shows cylinder one on the bottom. Note the factory CHT probe is the bronze one screwed into the cylinder.

I have the JPI piggy back CHT sensor on #1. it is the heat shrinked setup on the left.

Attachments:
Last edit: 6 days 15 hours ago by DARIN DIVINIA.

More
1 week 4 days ago #2258 by DARIN DIVINIA
Our 182S shipped with a factory CHT gauge which is on CHT #1. it is considered the primary CHT gauge.

Engine monitors come in primary and secondary. (Which one is the source of truth). In my case I have the factory gauge and a EDM-700. EDM-700 can not replace the factory gauge. If I went to a primary engine monitor like a EDM-930 - the factory gauge could go away.

Here is a better explanation.

Certification Basis—Some engine monitors are certified solely as supplementary instrumentation, while others are certified to service as the aircraft’s primary engine instruments. When an engine monitor is retrofitted into a legacy aircraft, a unit certified for primary instrument replacement permits removal of some or all of the original “steam
gauge” engine instruments. On the other hand, an engine monitor that is certified for primary instrument replacement is much more likely to have its alarms hardwired to the manufacturer’s red-lines rather than being user-programmable. (Of course, none of this matters for engine monitors installed in experimental aircraft.)

From this article:

content.savvyanalysis.com/static/pdf/Cho...Engine%20Monitor.pdf

Time to create page: 0.337 seconds