Fuel Capacity

More
2 weeks 1 day ago #2869 by STEVE ELLS
Replied by STEVE ELLS on topic Fuel Capacity
Hi Dickson;

Again, I'm not sure I understand. Unfortunately, I do not have the POH for your year 182, but I did pull a chart of the fuel tank capacity out of the POH for a 1959 C -182 with the 65 gallon capacity tanks.

I wrote about the chart in my last post; I'll attach that illustration to this reply.

Full is 65 gallons according to that POH.

In a way, and I hope I'm not getting too esoteric, it seems to me that "full" is the fuel level you need to complete your mission plus reserves. By this definition, "full" can be any fuel level if "full" (per the POH) puts the aircraft plus load plus fuel weight is more than the maximum take off weight (MTOW), or published gross weight.

In my definition, you, the captain decides if you have a full fuel load.

Probably not exactly what you are looking for, but my 2 cents.

Best,

Steve
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Dickson Schaefer
  • Dickson Schaefer's Avatar Topic Author
  • Subscriber
  • Subscriber
More
2 weeks 2 days ago #2868 by Dickson Schaefer
Replied by Dickson Schaefer on topic Fuel Capacity
Steve,
I really appreciate your attention. I don't think I have done a good job of outlining my question. I get the usable fuel and unusable fuel. I guess my real question comes down to what is "full". Is it the tabs or the top of the fill opening? I cannot find this anywhere in my POH.

More
2 weeks 3 days ago #2866 by STEVE ELLS
Hi;
I took a look at the POH for a 1959 C-182 and it read that 27.5 gallons are usable in each tank in all all flight conditions.

Next to that is said that 3.5 gallons were available in each tank ONLY in Level Flight.

It showed 1.5 gallons as unusable for a total of 32.5 gallons per side.

That looks pretty close to what everyone is seeing.

Steve

• Dickson Schaefer
  • Dickson Schaefer's Avatar Topic Author
  • Subscriber
  • Subscriber
More
3 weeks 2 days ago #2865 by Dickson Schaefer
Replied by Dickson Schaefer on topic Fuel Capacity
When calibrating my senders, my IA leveled the plane and drained the fuel by way of the gascolator to determine that all usable fuel was drained and only the unusable fuel remained. He was then able to add 28 gallons per side. POH states 27.5 usable per side. This was filled to the tabs. He was then able to add another 5 per side by filling to the fill opening, for a total of 33 gallons per side. Is "full" to the tabs? Was this the correct way to determine that the tanks had the full amount of unusable fuel (10 gallons) when he started adding fuel to calibrate the senders. It appears that fill is considered filling to the tabs which gives 27.5 usable in each wing, but filling to the fill opening gives another 5 gallons. I appreciate your help as this has us all confused.

More
3 weeks 3 days ago #2861 by STEVE ELLS
The Type Certificate Data Sheet (TCDS) for your 182 D has the following note:

"The certificated empty weight and corresponding center of gravity location must include unusable fuel of 30
lb. (+46) on Models 182, 182E, 182F, 182G, 182H, 182J, 182K, 182L, 182M, 182N and 182P through
18264295 and 60 lb. (+46) on Models 182A, 182B, 182C and 182D and undrainable oil of 0 lb."

60 pounds of unusable fuel equals 10 gallons, so this works out very close to the "extra" 11 gallons you were able to add to your tanks.

In order to always get all the usable fuel, don't count the bottom 5 gallons per side.

I hope this is clear.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Steve

More
3 weeks 4 days ago #2858 by Lyle Mann
Replied by Lyle Mann on topic Fuel Capacity
We have a 1957, 182A. I noticed the exact same thing when we installed CIES sensors. Our POH shows the usable fuel at 27.5 gals., additional fuel for level flight only, 3.5 gals., and unusable at 1.5 gals. The tanks are labeled at 27.5. Prior to the new sensors, our Cessna gauges rarely worked. Now I’ve noticed that the new gauges are very accurate. Fuel seems to always move to the right tank. On our decent the gauges read a lot less than we actually have and the left tank really moves to the right tank. By the time we park the gauges are again accurate. Overall, really happy with the CIES sensors.

Time to create page: 0.996 seconds