• richard heinichen
  • richard heinichen's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
More
1 week 1 day ago #2889 by richard heinichen
Replied by richard heinichen on topic oil pressure
Hi Steve. Yes the gauge the one on the panel has worked till now
Mostly I say that because I have seen it flutter in the past but nothing like now.
I will have the mechanical gauge check the pressure.
Now the troubling thing is the the JPI also acts in tandem with the legacy oil pressure/oil temperature.
I just read about the AD that effects my plane. The one that says get rid of the PN 77041 and replace with thePN 93278.
I’m a way from my log books till Friday to check. I just learned about this today.
It said to replace at3000 hours. On the panel gauges. The six pack.
Could this be the problem?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
1 week 1 day ago #2888 by STEVE ELLS
Replied by STEVE ELLS on topic oil pressure
Richard,

While I guess the SAVVY suggestion is possible, I think it's highly unlikely.

Tell me, has the OP indication ever been "normal?"

If so, and if this swinging gauge problem is new, then it's almost certainly an indicator problem.

Next step is to get your mechanic to install what's called a "direct reading (mechanical) gauge" to take the engine oil pressure.

That will tell you whether it's the gauge (sounds very likely to me) or the actual engine oil pressure.

He can run a flexible hose into the cabin if you want to check the OP in flight.

Do that then let me know know what you find out.

Steve

• richard heinichen
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
More
1 week 2 days ago #2887 by richard heinichen
Replied by richard heinichen on topic oil pressure
Hi Steve
Savvy says look at the oil filter by pass valve. Might be opening and closing when it shouldn’t.
Also valve seat might be scarred. I guess that might be the seat in the p relief valve.
My problem is that the swing in both the oil pressure gauges are swinging from maximum to minimum either in the air or taxi. The rate swinging is like your windshield wipers on high.
Savvy says it blockage is most improbable.
I’m stuck on the ground.
Thanks for your concern

More
1 week 2 days ago #2885 by STEVE ELLS
Replied by STEVE ELLS on topic oil pressure
When you say your OP goes all over the place; what does that mean exactly?
Is your OP steady at cruise rpm?
Is your OP steady at idle?

Your OP will vary at different rpms and at different oil temps. That's why there's a green arc on your OP gauge.

The Lycoming parts book for the four different OP relief valve springs has a note at the bottom of the page. It says,
"Select spring to give a minimum of three threads exposed on adjusting screw to allow field adjustment."

That's the criteria for picking a different spring than the one that's presently installed. If your cruise hot oil pressure is not where it's supposed to be (POH says it's supposed to be between 50 psi and 90 psi in cruise) then the adjusting screw is turned in or out to get the proper value.

Once the OP is at the proper value, if there is not three threads showing on the adjusting screw, then the oil pressure spring is changed until there is three threads.

That's how I read the manual.

Let me know if I'm missing something, or mis understood your post.

Thanks
Steve

• richard heinichen
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
More
1 week 4 days ago #2873 by richard heinichen
oil pressure was created by richard heinichen
Hi. I am reaching out for information about High oil pressure and not high oil pressure. My IO540 in my 1999 182S with 1200 hours on a new engine has been yelling at me about the oil pressure. I have a JPI 830 and it has it's own sending unit. In addition I have the Cessna oil pressure gauge. They both swing madly from high to low. and some times they act normal.
We have found that the spring in the oil pressure relief valve was rubbing on the side of the unit so we replaced the spring. It turns out there are many different springs that are color coded. On run up all was fine. Then it did it again in flight. MY Mech said he saw no color on the spring. There is one spring that is not colored. He said there are some colors like white that will take on the color of the oil, like brown. I wish I had the hot pink color which there is one.
Any thoughts would cause delight from me.
Thanks.
Richard.

Time to create page: 0.353 seconds