Delete my air-oil separator?

More
1 week 1 day ago #3137 by STEVE ELLS
Replied by STEVE ELLS on topic Delete my air-oil separator?
Hi Chris;
I believe you made the right move.

I occasionally have to educate a new airplane owner who doesn't understand why his airplane has oil on the belly. He never sees any oil under his newish car. My buzz line is "If there's no oil under your airplane, there's no oil in the engine"

Experiment to see what the "good" oil level is in your engine. I used to increase the oil level by a quart any time it was down to 6 (8 qt engine). Then I read about others who wrote that our engine blows anything over 5 qts out. So I cut back to 5 and not only is my belly a lot cleaner, my consumption of (expensive) oil has lessened from a qt every 4 hours to double that!!

Good luck with the break in.

I recommend that you watch the Ed Kollin of CamGuard videos on You Tube for extremely valuable lessons on oil, and oil change intervals.

Keep in touch,
Steve

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• CHRIS ERKMANN
  • CHRIS ERKMANN's Avatar Topic Author
  • Subscriber
  • Subscriber
More
2 weeks 3 days ago #3120 by CHRIS ERKMANN
Replied by CHRIS ERKMANN on topic Delete my air-oil separator?
Thanks Steve. I replaced the A/O separator with a length of 5/8 mil-spec hose from breather, through rear baffle, along firewall to right above L cowl flap. I'll give it a shot. Breaking in a factory rebuild this week so keeping Aeroshell 100 levels more like 9 qts for now.

More
2 weeks 4 days ago #3117 by STEVE ELLS
Replied by STEVE ELLS on topic Delete my air-oil separator?
Hi Chris;
I, and others believe an air oil separator returns not only oil but other non-desirable liquids such as water that's produced during combustion and flows out the crankcase vent in the form of water vapor.

If the engine is not flown for long enough, or is run up on the ground then shut down, the un-desirable effect is greater because the engine oil and engine internal temperature hasn't been high enough, long enough to "dry out" the engine.

I owned a 1966 C-182J for a few years and found that running lower oil levels such as you've specified to be a good strategy to lessen the amount of oil blowing out the crankcase vent tube.
However, you're not going to completely "dry up" the amount of oil blowing out and flowing aft on the belly.

The only way I can think of to prevent this is to build and install an oil catching reservoir that catches the oil, while still providing a non restrictive path for the crankcase pressure to exit.
Then after every flight, the reservoir would be drained.

I've only seen this reservoir solution once--it was on a DHC-2 DeHavilland Beaver in Alaska.

I hope that provides an answer to your question.
Steve

• CHRIS ERKMANN
  • CHRIS ERKMANN's Avatar Topic Author
  • Subscriber
  • Subscriber
More
2 weeks 5 days ago #3116 by CHRIS ERKMANN
Delete my air-oil separator? was created by CHRIS ERKMANN
Everyone is removing their vacuum pumps. Mine was a wet pump and therefore I had an air-oil separator. What is the consensus on deleting the air-oil separator and just running 7-8 quarts in my O-470? Past discussion on this has led me to believe I won't be blowing much out the breather if I keep oil levels in that range.

Time to create page: 0.139 seconds