Elevator trim tab actuator and hinge inspection

More
7 months 1 week ago #3248 by STEVE ELLS
Replied by STEVE ELLS on topic Elevator trim tab actuator and hinge inspection
Hi Mark;
Ah ha! Thanks for getting me back on track.

My suggestion is that if the joint between the trim tab rod and arms off the tab are tight, And there's none to very little in-and-out movement of the shaft of the tab actuator, then the wear allowance includes the wear at the hinges.

In other words, the wear tolerance at the trailing edge of the tab, includes all those wear points. Eliminate or minimize the movement at the wear points and then check the amount of movement at the trailing edge. If it's within tolerances, you're OK

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Mark Ebben
  • Mark Ebben's Avatar Topic Author
  • Subscriber
  • Subscriber
More
7 months 1 week ago #3247 by Mark Ebben
Replied by Mark Ebben on topic Elevator trim tab actuator and hinge inspection
Steve: You got sidetracked on to aileron hinges but I get what you were trying say. My elevator trim hinge has the minor wear, no cracks. Looks only available from Cessna.
Attachments:

More
7 months 1 week ago #3245 by STEVE ELLS
Replied by STEVE ELLS on topic Elevator trim tab actuator and hinge inspection
Hi Mark,

I don't recall seeing any printed service manual information on hinge pin wear. Cessna issued Single Engine Bulletin SEB 87-4 related to aileron hinges, but it was aimed at looking for cracks in the hinges.

My suggestion is you clean and visually evaluate the hinges. If there's little wear, you'll OK for a while. But if there is noticeable wear (you can see movement between the segments attached to the wing and the segments attached to the aileron) I recommend that you change them

Once the wear is noticeable, the normal vibration and air loads have some freedom of movement to "work" which will cause more wear.

I like the aileron hinge segments from MacFarlane Aviation. ( www.macfarlaneaviation.com ) I think they're a better hinge than the ones from Cessna. The MacFarlane hinge part number is MC0523816-1

The original Cessna part number is 0523807; it was superseded to 0523816-1.

Thanks for asking,
Steve

• Mark Ebben
  • Mark Ebben's Avatar Topic Author
  • Subscriber
  • Subscriber
More
7 months 2 weeks ago #3242 by Mark Ebben
I read your article on common things to inspect for on the 182. I understand your description of up & down movement from the trailing edge of the tab by hand not to exceed "1/4 inch". I don't have that but another question comes up. Are there any wear limits on the hinge if you watch while grasping the trailing edge and moving fore & aft? Noticing when applying graphite to the hinge. In simple terms, when to replace the hinge.

Time to create page: 0.241 seconds