• William Schwab
  • William Schwab's Avatar Topic Author
  • Subscriber
  • Subscriber
More
1 month 2 weeks ago #3379 by William Schwab
Replied by William Schwab on topic Wings w/long range tanks
Thanks Steve for your sage advice.
After doing a little snooping around on the inter-webs, it seems the best solution to my quandary, is simply to keep the factory tanks, and install the hard aux tanks from Flint or Monarch. That way there is no extra fuss or worry about the integrity of the LR bladders being kept less than full. And the aux tanks require little if any extra concern or consideration for use or non-use.
Thanks again, Bill.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
1 month 2 weeks ago #3377 by STEVE ELLS
Replied by STEVE ELLS on topic Wings w/long range tanks
Hi William;

Yours is an interesting question, but as you can imagine it's been asked before.

To the best of my knowledge, there is no STC or mod kit to modify standard length capacity wings to accept LR fuel bladders. I checked with another Cessna expert and he verified it.

The wing structure would have to be modified.

You're correct about the temp moderating effects of keeping the bladder tanks full. That's desirable.
And again, to the best of my knowledge there's no additive to extend tank life.

The best thing you can do if you can't, or don't want to keep the tanks full, it to prevent direct sunlight from hitting the tops of the wings by hangaring or parking under a shade hangar.

There is an STC to install additional tankage in the form of rigid 12 gallon tanks in the outer portion of each wing. This STC and the tanks are owned by Flint Aero ( www.flintaero.com )

Best,
Steve

More
1 month 2 weeks ago #3376 by STEVE ELLS
Replied by STEVE ELLS on topic Wings w/long range tanks
Hi William;

Yours is an interesting question, but as you can imagine it's been asked before.

To the best of my knowledge, there is no STC or mod kit to modify standard length capacity wings to accept LR fuel bladders. I checked with another Cessna expert and he verified it.

The wing structure would have to be modified.

You're correct about the temp moderating effects of keeping the bladder tanks full. That's desirable.
And again, to the best of my knowledge there's no additive to extend tank life.

The best thing you can do if you can't, or don't want to keep the tanks full, it to prevent direct sunlight from hitting the tops of the wings by hangaring or parking under a shade hangar.

There is an STC to install additional tankage in the form of rigid 12 gallon tanks in the outer portion of each wing. This STC and the tanks are owned by Flint Aero ( www.flintaero.com )

Best,
Steve

• William Schwab
  • William Schwab's Avatar Topic Author
  • Subscriber
  • Subscriber
More
1 month 2 weeks ago - 1 month 2 weeks ago #3375 by William Schwab
Wings w/long range tanks was created by William Schwab
Hello all,
I am very new here and fairly new to Cessna. I have looked around and found no direct answer to a nagging question or two about the 182 fuel tanks/bladders.
I'm not even sure if my question make sense, but let me lay it out:
As I understand it, the standard wing with bladder holds about 65 gallons of fuel (total, both sides) and there was an option for Long Range tanks (84 gal?)

So my first question is...is there any structural differences in the wing that would preclude the installation of the LR tanks? Is there a mod or STC that would allow it, or maybe just a drop in?

Secondly, I know that bladders are happiest and last the longest when kept full of fuel, BUT.....how do you keep the LR tanks from dry rotting when the fuel level is kept closer to half full. Is there and additive or conditioner to put in the fuel to help the bladders live?

My reasoning is this, I would like to have the LR tanks for the non-stop range for cross country travel, but only want to keep half tanks for local and pattern work. Taking the SO, friends and co-workers for $100 Texas BBQ and the like.

Thanks for any input and illumination.
Bill.
Last edit: 1 month 2 weeks ago by William Schwab. Reason: Premature enter buttoning

Time to create page: 0.156 seconds