• William Schwab
  • William Schwab's Avatar Topic Author
  • Subscriber
  • Subscriber
More
4 weeks 22 hours ago #3408 by William Schwab
Replied by William Schwab on topic Off Airport Landing Gear
Thanks Steve,
That's kinda the thoughts I was having. Makes sense tho.
Just wasn't sure if there was an "official" consensus regarding the suitability of the tubular gear.

Looks like I'll be shopping for a '72 and earlier model now.

Thanks for your input.

Bill.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
1 month 11 hours ago #3402 by STEVE ELLS
Replied by STEVE ELLS on topic Off Airport Landing Gear
Hi Bill;
I have never installed large tires on a tubular gear 182, so I can't pass on any personal experience. My belief on why you're hearing all about strengthening the flat spring gear legs mounting is because it's weak for serious off airport work.

A company called PPonk ( www.pponk.com ) has a STC approved gear mounting kit for flat gear leg 182s.

It's my impression that the reason so many pilots use the flat get 182s for off airport work is because the flat gear 182s are lighter than the tube gear 182s, and because they're less expensive to buy.

But that's just an impression.

I hope this helps,

Steve

More
1 month 11 hours ago #3401 by STEVE ELLS
Replied by STEVE ELLS on topic Off Airport Landing Gear
Hi Bill;
I have never installed large tires on a tubular gear 182, so I can't pass on any personal experience. My belief on why you're hearing all about strengthening the flat spring gear legs mounting is because it's weak for serious off airport work.

A company called PPonk ( www.pponk.com ) has a STC approved gear mounting kit for flat gear leg 182s.

It's my impression that the reason so many pilots use the flat get 182s for off airport work is because the flat gear 182s are lighter than the tube gear 182s, and because they're less expensive to buy.

But that's just an impression.

I hope this helps,

Steve

• William Schwab
  • Subscriber
  • Subscriber
More
1 month 1 day ago #3399 by William Schwab
Replied by William Schwab on topic Off Airport Landing Gear
Hi Jen,
Yes, I saw that article and read it about 4 times. Very interesting.
Although I don't own a cabin in the mountains, that's the kinda things I want to to be able to do. But, he already started with a 1966 model with the spring steel gear.
I have not seen any info regarding the robustness of the later models with the tubular gear for off airport OPS tho.

Thanks.
Bill.

More
1 month 2 days ago #3393 by Jen D
Replied by Jen D on topic Off Airport Landing Gear
I'm hoping one of our backcountry 182 flyers weighs in, but if you are looking to do a lot of backcountry flying, you might want to check out this article. Note that this is a few years old and resources may be out of date, if you need any help, let us know.
www.cessnaflyer.org/cessna-singles/cessn...rt-landing-gear.html

Jen

• William Schwab
  • Subscriber
  • Subscriber
More
1 month 6 days ago #3389 by William Schwab
Off Airport Landing Gear was created by William Schwab
I just finished watching a video where the presenter said that if you were to operate your 182 off airport, one should use a '72 or older model with the spring steel gear as they are a stronger gear.
Is there really that much of a difference in the gear? Are the newer gear legs unsuitable? Or is this all just old-wives-tales?
I don't plan on any gravel bar or mountain side landings, so I'm pretty sure the tubular gear would be perfectly adequate for most grass/off field adventures. Am I correct?

Thanks for any and all input.

Bill.

Time to create page: 0.145 seconds