RAM engine comments?

More
5 days 4 hours ago #2862 by STEVE ELLS
Replied by STEVE ELLS on topic RAM engine comments?
Raymond;

My personal opinion is that the Vitatoe turbo normalized 550 is absolutely the best re engine option for your airplane.

All the benefits of a normally aspirated engine (8.5 compression ratio for better thermal efficiency) and all the "needed" benefits of boosting the manifold pressure to sea level up into the altitudes.

That engine will run better and cooler for a long time.

I once rode right seat as Larry Vitatoe flew his P210 from Chilicothe, Ohio to 23,000 ft MSL and was stunned when the CHTs never went about 380.

Smart choice.

Steve

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Raymond Nickels
  • Raymond Nickels's Avatar Topic Author
  • Subscriber
  • Subscriber
More
1 week 19 hours ago #2857 by Raymond Nickels
Replied by Raymond Nickels on topic RAM engine comments?
Well, thanks for asking. I gathered quite a bit of information between four different forums as well as other research, and I want to thank you and everyone else who takes the time to answer questions like mine. I think it is wonderful that people are willing to do that. Having said that, the irony here is that I finally decided to go in an entirely different direction. I have determined that the best choice is to do the Vivatoe turbonormaliozed IO-550 conversion. Yes, this is an insanely expensive option and I do realize that I am fortunate enough to have the resources to do it. However, I think it is pretty clear that the 550 is a much better and more reliable engine than the 520, and might actually have a fighting chance to make it to TBO. I just assumed that no matter who did the 520 there was an excellent chance that at the very least several cylinders would be changed over the life of the engine. While still possible with the 550, it is clearly less likely. Additionally, the TN-550 is an easy engine to operate LOP at about 17.5 gph, and is simply far less fussy than the 520. Anyway, the aircraft is currently in Kansas awaiting its new engine. My final comment is that had I decided to keep the 520 I almost certainly would have gone with the RAM option. Thanks again.

• DOUGLAS VINCENT
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
More
1 week 3 days ago #2854 by DOUGLAS VINCENT
Replied by DOUGLAS VINCENT on topic RAM engine comments?
Have you made your decision?

• Raymond Nickels
  • Subscriber
  • Subscriber
More
1 month 1 week ago #2799 by Raymond Nickels
Thank you, I'll add that to the mix

• DOUGLAS VINCENT
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
More
1 month 1 week ago #2797 by DOUGLAS VINCENT
Replied by DOUGLAS VINCENT on topic RAM engine comments?
Raymond

I do not know the status of you search, but I have been remiss in not telling you about Power Masster at Tulsa RVS my home base. I have never used them as I use Ram, but they do have a good reputation outside the Tulsa area. I hard good things about them, but hear they can be a bit slow.

Should you ever fly into RVS let me know as I have a old Suburban on the field you are welcome to use.

Powermaster Engines®

The words "Engine Overhaul" strike fear in the hearts of aircraft owners, and a complete engine overhaul is never an easy pill to swallow. There are so many choices and decisions to be made. Cost, time, quality of work, and reputation are all key considerations when deciding how to bring a tired engine back to life.
PowerMaster Engines has satisfied clients worldwide, and has gained a solid reputation for quality work. Owner Bill Cunningham and his staff take pride in their work, and restore every engine to new limits and performance.

Bill CunninghamBill Cunningham is a pilot, master craftsman, and skilled and detail-oriented engine rebuilder. With the proper combination of components, baffling and assembly techniques, PowerMaster provides the optimum performance engine. PowerMaster also offers highly-detailed installation, in-flight dynamic balancing and vibration spectrum analysis.

For quality and value, a superior engine built by PowerMaster is the only way to fly.

Doug

• Raymond Nickels
  • Subscriber
  • Subscriber
More
1 month 2 weeks ago #2791 by Raymond Nickels
Thanks again for your comments. RAM came back today with a price of about 68.5k for the exchange engine with steel cylinders. You are correct that I need to be sure the comparison is one-for-one. I'll be talking with WS tomorrow.

Time to create page: 0.467 seconds