210D landing gear did not retract fully

More
2 weeks 5 days ago #3158 by STEVE ELLS
Replied by STEVE ELLS on topic 210D landing gear did not retract fully
Paul,
It can't hurt if the fluid is new (just opened). Although this stuff is pretty inert, why take a chance that it's been sitting around for a while.
I also recommend your mechanic open up the hyd filter (which is just a screen) and make sure it's clean.
The location is shown on one of the illustrations I attached earlier.

Thanks,
Steve
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paul Addi

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Paul Addi
  • Paul Addi's Avatar Topic Author
  • Subscriber
  • Subscriber
More
2 weeks 5 days ago #3157 by Paul Addi
Replied by Paul Addi on topic 210D landing gear did not retract fully
Hi Steve
I’ll keep posted on my progress
I’ve sent the pump to quality aircraft accessories in Oklahoma they are instructed to perform a bench test on the pump and I’ll ask them about the seals also.
I talked to mechanic on the phone today that recommended replacing all the hydraulic with new fresh fluid once I get the pump back. He stated that over the years it can become sludgy and could be part of the issue. Do you have an opinion on that fluid statement?

More
2 weeks 6 days ago #3156 by STEVE ELLS
Paul,
I realize at 3 am this morning that the answer(s) I posted yesterday were probably not helpful.
To summarize what your posted--you can get the gear up and down using the handpump. That indicates that there's probably no leakage in the actuating cylinders.
But the gear retract system doesn't build enough pressure to fully retract the gear.

I can see how the thought that the pump should be tested is reasonable.
But those engine driven pumps are pretty hardy and if the gear system was working normally prior to the incident you describe, then the odds of a sudden failure are pretty slim.

You can disconnect one of the flex lines at one of the main LG actuators, install a T in line and connect a pressure gauge to the T to get system pressure, but if one of the pressure relief valves in the power pack wasn't seating, you won't get normal system pressure from the engine driven pump.

The service manual lists four things that prevent the engine pump and hand pump from building pressure; fluid level, door solenoid valve jammed, or faulty secondary relief valve.

But you already know the hand pump will build some pressure so the next question is, does the hand pump build enough pressure to pop the handle back to neutral at the end of the up and down cycle?

If it does, that does point to the engine driven pump as the problem. I'll be very interested to learn what you find. As I said these pumps are pretty dependable.

You can find inexpensive rebuild seal kits for the hyd pumps (part number 1280103-3) from Plane Parts Inc on eBay.

The two companies that rebuild powerpacks are www.coxairparts.com and www.powerpacksplus.com .

Let me know what else I can do to help.

Steve

This would prevent the system from building the pressure needed to fully function.

I'd be happy to send you pages from the service manual that describes how to test these two valves but a Hydro Test is needed.

More
2 weeks 6 days ago #3155 by STEVE ELLS
Paul; Drawings of filler and HydroTest
Attachments:

More
2 weeks 6 days ago #3154 by STEVE ELLS
Hi Paul,
Congrats on your acquisition of a 210D. It's a great airplane.

Before you start removing pumps, etc. please check to see that the hydraulic system is full of fluid.
There is a sight gauge on in the little hole to the right of the gear handle, but in my experience it is not usable--either dirty or something else.
To service the reservoir you pull the right (copilots' side) upper cowling.
On the right upper part of the firewall there's a square block with a hose running to it. Inside the block is the hyd fluid filter.
Below it is a fitting that angles upward at about a 45 degree angle. That is the filler port. Remove the screw and start pumping fluid (a simple sqeeze type squirt bottle is fine) into the filler until fluid runs out a hole in the belly. It's full when you see fluid on the ground.

I suggest you find a mechanic that is familiar with the hyd system in your vintage 210. It was used from 1963 until 1972. To totally check out the system during an annual or during trouble shooting a tool called a hydraulic mule is needed. The 200 series service manual calls it a Hydro Test unit.
There is a simplified diagram of the Hydro Test in the service manual, or one can be purchased.

Is this non-normal operation new since you bought the airplane?

• Paul Addi
  • Paul Addi's Avatar Topic Author
  • Subscriber
  • Subscriber
More
3 weeks 16 hours ago #3153 by Paul Addi
210D landing gear did not retract fully was created by Paul Addi
I recently purchased this 1964 210D in September and on our last flight I had an issue with the gear not retracting all the way. So the pilot in command made the decision to put the gear back down and got a green light and landed the plane with no further issues.
Also note that pilot stated that left gear was not visible and doors were closed but right side was still visible
The gear handle never moved from up position until approximately 30 seconds later when pilot moved it to down position.

Today my mechanic and I jacked the plane to see how it cycles through its full motions using the hand pump. After placing the gear selector in up positon and about 40 pumps later the gear went all the up and all doors closed. I then put the gear selector in down position pumped and gear locked down and we got a green light. While the doors were open we cleaned and lubricated and inspected for any abnormalities. We decided to take the engine driven hydraulic pump out for inspection to make sure its producing the 1500psi needed to operate the gear cycle. hopefully this will solve the issue. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.129 seconds