210 C Gear Horn

More
2 weeks 16 hours ago #3356 by STEVE ELLS
Replied by STEVE ELLS on topic 210 C Gear Horn
Hi Steve;
Did all this start recently?

Problems I'm having.
The dual warning unit is not supposed to blow continuously--that indicates the unit is bad in my opinion.

The second a gear down sw opens the warning should sound IF the throttle is back. Have you closely checked the gear down switch rigging??

When did you disconnect the throttle switch?

Are you doing all these tests and checks with the hand pump?

Steve

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Steve Alexander
  • Steve Alexander's Avatar Topic Author
  • Subscriber
  • Subscriber
More
2 weeks 2 days ago #3354 by Steve Alexander
Replied by Steve Alexander on topic 210 C Gear Horn
Thanks Steve for the prompt reply, job has me running in low gear! I should have mentioned previously, as the manual pump starts building pressure after the doors open (gear down an locked) and before the locking paws disengage the locks it will start blowing and green light will go out. This action doesn't make any sense! Something shifting in the power pack??? I have the T switch wire disconnected. All gear switch's work correctly. 337-789-5676

More
2 weeks 3 days ago #3350 by STEVE ELLS
Hi Steve;
There should not be any situation where the horn blows continuously.

Therefore it's safe to assume that the Dual Warning Unit is faulty.

You state that when the gear is down and locked--it's all good.

But the instant you move the gear handle to start the up cycle, the horn blows continuously.

The gear warning horn is designed to sound intermittently when the gear is not down and locked and the throttle switch is not closed. The throttle switch is not closed when the throttle has been pulled back to approximately 14 inches of manifold pressure.

Take a look at the throttle switch--it's forward of the firewall. Is it in good shape? Are the wires solid and secure?

When you press the green light half way in and the throttle is pulled out, you're opening the (closed) gear down switch circuit. The result is that no power through those switches gets to the "gear" tab on the Dual Warning Unit. The DWU should then make an intermittent warning sound.

When you press the switch all the way down, that provides an alternate ground to complete the light circuit. This action is provided to enable the pilot to test both the green and red lights during preflight.

Pls check the wiring at the throttle switch and repair as necessary if it's not good or if the switch does not open and close with changes in the throttle position.

As I said before, the DWU should not make a continuous sound.

Let me know what you find.

Steve

• Steve Alexander
  • Subscriber
  • Subscriber
More
2 weeks 5 days ago #3349 by Steve Alexander
Replied by Steve Alexander on topic 210 C Gear Horn
Here is the latest. When the gear are up and doors closed the horn blows continuously with no green light indicated , I press the green light horn stops and green light comes on. With the gear down and locked everything is normal

More
4 weeks 1 day ago #3335 by STEVE ELLS
Hi Steve;
I apologize for taking so long to get back to you.

The same unit--the Stall and Gear down warning unit--produces sound when the stall vane is all the way up, and when the gear is a) not down and locked when the throttle is pulled back.

I recommend that you push up the stall vane to see if the warning unit makes noise before you do anything else. If there's no noise this will indicate the warning unit has failed.

The fact you say the warning horn is not intermittent makes me wonder if it's the cause of your problem.

The part number for the warning unit is 1213242-1. There are used ones available on eBay and from some salvage yards. Before ordering one from a salvage yard get a verbal assurance that there is a money back guarantee before ordering. The money back guarantee is standard with reputable salvage yards.

Here's the power path sequence for down and locked from the 10 amp CB
CB----Nose Gear squat switch (closed if weight is off the gear; the gear handle can not be moved until the weight is off the nose gear)
Rt gear switch
Lft gear switch----to pin D on powerpack
then to green light---power illuminates green light then completes the circuit to ground.

I do not have the exact service manual for your 1963 210 but the manual I have says this about the landing gear lights.
The green light has two positions. Half way in produces the intermittent horn sound. All the way in causes the green light to illuminate.
The up (amber) light has one position---push the light in and it should illuminate.

Please let me know what you find.

Steve

• Steve Alexander
  • Subscriber
  • Subscriber
More
1 month 4 days ago #3334 by Steve Alexander
210 C Gear Horn was created by Steve Alexander
In previous flights my 10 Amp gear breaker would trip on the down gear cycle but has stopped doing this. Now, just before my gear unlocks (up cycle) my gear horn will blow continuously and no light. If I press the green gear light horn silences an green light comes on. Release the green light switch and horn blows again??? Also the horn doesn't pulse now also.
Any suggestions on what to look for? 210 C # 21058206

Time to create page: 0.168 seconds