grass /sand strip

More
11 months 2 days ago #1477 by STEVE ELLS
Replied by STEVE ELLS on topic grass /sand strip
Hi Glenn;
Based on the copy of the POH I have, it looks like it's possible under certain conditions. Figures in the take off distance page show that distance to climb to 50 feet above airport surface, at MTOW, at sea level, at standard atmospheric conditions (68 deg F and 0 wind) is predicted to be 2290 feet.
So, with reference to the POH, it appears that at max wt, cool air, and at sea level airport altitude, the book numbers indicate that there's room.
What if it's a much hotter day and the surface temperature is 85 deg F; the distance over a 50 obstacle increases to 2550 feet.
What if your runway is located at 3000 feet MSL instead of sea level? At 68 deg F the distance needed jumps to 2790 while at 85 deg F it is up to 3120 feet.
All the above numbers are cited for a dry hard surfaced runway.
Let's add what Sparky Imeson, author of the Mountain Flying Bible, says about the effects of a grass runway on takeoff distances. Imeson has a rule of thumb that suggests that 10 percent be added to takeoff run distances when grass is 4 inches longer or less; over 4 inches long? Add 20 percent.
So a worst case scenario (long grass, 85 deg F surface temp and runway at 3000 feet MSL) the numbers show 3120 feet plus the long grass factor of 20 percent results in a distance to climb over a 50 foot obstacle of 3744 feet.
When this kind of question to asked, you can see that there are many factors that must be considered.
I hope this answer will help you decide whether it's safe for you to operate in and out of your strip.
Let's also remember that the numbers I provided here are for a 340A at MTOW; the lighter an airplane is, the better it will perform.
Now let's look at how long it will take you to stop if an engine fails at 91 knots at MTOW--at 68 deg F and sea level the book says it will take you 3510 feet to stop but you'll never stop that quickly on grass.
The accelerate-go distance where the engine fails at 91 knots and you're successful at feathering the bad engine it will take over 4360 feet from a clean dry surface at 68 deg F at sea level.
Is it safe to take your airplane into this strip. Crunch the numbers, take your airplane to a long runway, preferable grass and see if you can match these numbers. Is your pilot technique sufficient to wrest this performance out of your 340A? If you're not sure, go out and practice until you know.
I found that I could download a Cessna 340A POH manual (from SimCom) free by typing Cessna 340A into my favorite search engine.
If you're not sure you can do it, get an experienced instructor to help you out. It would be a shame if you couldn't find a way to safely fly into your cabin

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
11 months 3 days ago #1472 by Glenn Lipsett
I have a 3200 ft grass/sand strip at my cabin with 500 ft on each end before 30ft trees will a 340a get in and out safely ?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.152 seconds