Flying a 414 with basic med

More
5 months 1 week ago #3207 by Kevin Garrison
Replied by Kevin Garrison on topic Flying a 414 with basic med
I "kind of" fly for hire with basic med. Flight instruction does not count as flying for hire but I can charge for my time like the greedy little cfi I is.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
5 months 1 week ago #3206 by STEVE ELLS
Replied by STEVE ELLS on topic Flying a 414 with basic med
Mistake in my earlier post.
A pilot flying under Basic Med can NOT fly for compensation or hire.

S

More
5 months 1 week ago #3205 by STEVE ELLS
Replied by STEVE ELLS on topic Flying a 414 with basic med
Hi Steve;

A First! An owner wanting to carry less in his twin engine Cessna. Just joking.

I have never heard of the possibility of lowering the published gross weight (now called maximum take off weight or MTOW).

MTOW is a number that's part of the airplane type certificate data sheet (TCDS). It's a FAA approved document that outlines the limits, powerplants, weights and in some cases the equipment that the airplane was built to.

I doubt that anyone at Cessna (now Textron) would be able to answer the question since in my opinion it's never been asked before.
If you want to pursue your quest, I suggest you start with Textron. One gateway is: txtav.com/en/service/customer-portal .

The other Basic Med requirements (besides the 6000 MTOW) is that it not be certified to carry more than 5 passengers (not sure if a copilot is considered a passenger), not be operated above 18000 feet MSL and not exceed 250 knots. A pilot flying under Basic Med can fly for compensation or hire.

I wish I could help you further.

Best,
Steve

• Steve Huff
  • Steve Huff's Avatar Topic Author
  • Subscriber
  • Subscriber
More
5 months 1 week ago #3202 by Steve Huff
Flying a 414 with basic med was created by Steve Huff
Has anyone pursued lowering the gross weight on a 414 to be able to fly it with basic med physical?

Time to create page: 0.147 seconds