New 182 Owner with a few questions on mission and avionics

More
3 days 15 hours ago #2494 by Jen D
Hi Pat!
The August issue has an article "Top 10 Avionics Upgrade Mistakes and How to Avoid Them." If you haven't had a chance to read it yet, it's got some good general, rather than specific, advice.

Here's a link to the digital edition: www.cessnaflyer.org/magazines/item/1435-...-flyer-magazine.html

Jen

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 days 18 hours ago #2493 by MIKE DAVIS
Dear Pat,

Believe me, I hear you. I bought about the same vintage as your 182 and did the complete Garmin upgrade, including the GFC 500 autopilot. Every mistake you can make I made, but with the help of a great avionics tech, my plane is complete. If you want to visit, I'm at and we can exchange contacts.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kent Dellenbusch

More
3 days 18 hours ago #2492 by Pat Chumley
thank you for the response. yes i have received several quotes from sarasota, to pacific. i am in the dilemma of choosing between, g500 or g3x. 750xi vs 530, and jpi vs garmin engine monitor. for the least expensive option will equally these 3 items exchange and give same great results? or is one def, an item you should have to be able to add on or in later. another words, don't do this today or you will simply be redoing it later kind of a deal. for instance a friend of mine, installed an aspen 1000, and a cheap autopilot, now he wants to add the gfc500 and can't just plug and play because of the aspen, and is having to spend another 10-15k to upgrade it as well so they talk. i don't want to have this happen.

More
4 days 9 hours ago #2491 by Jen D
But, Steve, there's a difference between a need and a want! I'm going to try to move this topic to the avionics subforum to see if we can get more action.

Jen

More
4 days 14 hours ago #2489 by STEVE ELLS
Congratulations on your "new" airplane and your family's flight training accomplishments.
I suggest that you can do a lot of safe MVFR and Light IFR fling with an avionics package that costs much less than $120K.

One step is to research the various options. No one needs a full glass panel to safely fly the missions you've described.

You will absolutely need ADS-B Out. The Stratus ESG is one affordable unit that provides it, but there are other options.

To get an idea of some of the options, I recommend you go to Pacific Coast Avionics website ( www.pacificcoastavionics.com ) and click on the Installations and Service tab. Then hit the Avionics Installations button. On the left side of the page will be 8 examples of Garmin avionics installation packages.
Package #2 has a complete package of everything you need to safely and effectively fly anywhere in the US Airspace system. It's priced at $35K + for the purchase and install.

There are other large avionics sellers and installation shops; I used Pacific Coast because I know know the owner and have dealt with him before.

The point of this is to help you sift through the options to get a clear idea of what is available, and how to get a complete package that will fit your needs.

This type of research will also give you an idea of what to pay so you can better negotiate with a shop nearer home.

One tool that I recommend you look at is the Aviation Electronics Association's Pilot's Guide.
You can get a free copy, or read a digital copy at www.aeapilotsguide.net .
In addition to articles, it also lists most of the avionics shops in each state.

Glad you joined.

Best,
Steve

More
4 days 15 hours ago #2487 by KRISTIN WINTER
Pat,

Congratulations on having the whole family involved in aviation. I gather you are looking to upgrade the avionics to make a more modern IFR aircraft. What do you have installed now? I am also curious about these avionics packages that you have been pitched for over $100K. What is in these packages? One thing to consider is that with a major avionics upgrade like this, the plane will be down for a period of time that might conflict with your training goals.

Kristin

Time to create page: 0.135 seconds