ELT Replacement

• TOM BRAEUNIG
  • TOM BRAEUNIG's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
More
2 weeks 6 days ago #2958 by TOM BRAEUNIG
Replied by TOM BRAEUNIG on topic ELT Replacement
I still like the Kannad unit since it has an internal GPS. I don't have an installed GPS on my plane.
I've only found one other 406 ELT with the internal GPS. It's the "Emerging Lifesaving Technologies 406 ELT with internal GPS"

www.emapa.aero/Aircraft-ELT-Emerging-Lif...406-mhz-with-gps.htm

But, it also uses a velcro mounting strap. And, they recommend providing a 1/2 amp fused circuit to keep the ELT battery charged, since the internal GPS function requires some power to keep it's GPS position updated.
That may also be true of the Kannad unit.

So I think I will wait for the newer Kannad unit, with the Draw Latch retention strap, to become available. That should be sometime around mid July.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 weeks 1 day ago #2955 by STEVE ELLS
Replied by STEVE ELLS on topic ELT Replacement
Hi Tom;
Unbelievable!

Who ever is making the decisions at that company needs to work harder to take care of the aftermarket customers.

I installed an ACK E-04 complete installation kit. However, it does not have an internal GPS--I have to run a wire from my GPS to the ELT for increased accuracy.

I like it because it uses D cells when it's time for a battery change.

S

• TOM BRAEUNIG
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
More
3 weeks 1 day ago #2953 by TOM BRAEUNIG
I contacted Kannad, and they're not willing to provide the newer, approved mounting tray. They did give me a part number for the tray, but they said they can't sell directly to end users. I tried to find a dealer or distributor who could provide the newer mounting tray, but no luck,
So I ended up returning the ELT.
They did tell me that they're planning to come out with a newer version of the retro-fit kit in July, which will include the newer tray.

• TOM BRAEUNIG
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
More
4 weeks 2 days ago #2945 by TOM BRAEUNIG
Well, I got my new Kannad ELT a couple of days ago. When going through the installation manual, I discovered that the mounting tray they sent me doesn't meet the current TSO standard.

The current TSO C126b doesn't approve using Hook & Loop (velcro) retention strap for the ELT, and it cites several accidents where the ELT broke loose, broke the antenna lead rendering it useless.

My new ELT mounting tray uses the hook & loop strap. They do make a newer version with a draw latch fastener, and amazingly, in their install instructions they recommend the use of the TSO-C126b approved mounting bracket (with the draw latch), even though they provided the hook and loop strap which doesn't comform to this TSO.

I'm going to try to have them send me the later bracket with the draw latch.

• TOM BRAEUNIG
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
More
4 months 3 weeks ago #2712 by TOM BRAEUNIG
Will do, Steve,
One thing I found out from Kannad is that I will have to get their antenna. RAMI AV-200 whip antenna for $111.75. They have a fiberglass rod antenna for $283. I'm sure I'll go with the cheaper option. Its available from Aircraft Spruce.

More
4 months 3 weeks ago #2709 by STEVE ELLS
Replied by STEVE ELLS on topic ELT Replacement
Hi Tom;
I'd appreciate your feedback,
Steve

Time to create page: 0.132 seconds