Garmin g3x in a 182s

More
6 months 1 week ago #3150 by Matt Schloss
Replied by Matt Schloss on topic Garmin g3x in a 182s
Sidney,

We have installed a number of these systems here at Gulf Coast Avionics and find most people do not retain the VSI. Also something to note about a VSI is that it is the only piece of equipment in the traditional 6 pack that is not required for IFR flight. If you remember back to your Instrument rating the required equipment is GRABCARD Generator or alternator, Radios and Nav equipment adequate to the rout of flight, Attitude Indicator, Ball of the slip/skid, Clock with second counter, Altimeter (sensitive Altimeter), Rate of turn Indicator, and Directional Gyro. As an instructor I have always told my students that a VSI will lie and has a lot of errors. the solid state processor in the G3X is much more accurate than a traditional VSI. That being said I don't see the need to retain your old one, However everyone has there own onion and after all it is your dream panel you are putting together and we would lay it out exactly how you want it. Please let me know if you have any other questions regarding your upgrade.

-Levi Vickers
863-709-9714 Ext.143
Sales Manager & CFI/II

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
6 months 1 week ago #3149 by Brad Carey
Replied by Brad Carey on topic Garmin g3x in a 182s
I did the dual 275s with a 750 in the stack with the 500 autopilot. I came from jets with the auto flight control on the glare shield. I spent allot of time thinking about position of the control head and I ended up putting it on the bottom of the stack. Very happy with my decision. My hand usually hovers around the the throttle and it’s next to the a/p control head.

• Marc Mears
  • Marc Mears's Avatar Topic Author
  • Subscriber
  • Subscriber
More
7 months 3 weeks ago #3095 by Marc Mears
Replied by Marc Mears on topic Garmin g3x in a 182s
I put in the old round gauges as I thought I would use then – and never have!
Never had a problem with the VSI – its is small but you get used to it – just like you get used to the tapes - the g3x does have a highbred round gauge option that is very user friendly that you could use to transition.

The fit out was done by Multiflight and it was their first one – but they did not report on any issues.
The one thing I would strongly recommend if you are putting in the autopilot – put the box at the top - its so easy to use when turning the dials for heading etc than having it low down in the dash board and for many other reasons.
It’s a fantastic system and easy to use –

More
7 months 3 weeks ago #3094 by Sidney Dekker
Replied by Sidney Dekker on topic Garmin g3x in a 182s
Hi Marc, thanks for sharing your picture. I am about to do the same with a 1997 C172R, with roughly the lay-out you have chosen for yours.

Of course, it'd be great to hear of any snags you hit on the way to the end result, but I also have a question about the experience of the G3X screen: I find the V/S indication unsatisfactorily small.

Do you miss the round VSI and should I save it and recycle it (or don't you even look at the round dials anymore)?

Really appreciate it,
Sidney

• Marc Mears
  • Marc Mears's Avatar Topic Author
  • Subscriber
  • Subscriber
More
10 months 1 day ago #3026 by Marc Mears
Garmin g3x in a 182s was created by Marc Mears
Just had this fitted and if anyone has any questions please ask.....
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Craig Foster

Time to create page: 0.456 seconds