Camguard?

More
3 weeks 6 days ago #2727 by STEVE ELLS
Replied by STEVE ELLS on topic Camguard?
Camguard is an option. It's strong suit is increased protection against internal engine and cylinder rust during long periods of inactivity.

If you're flying regularly and the oil is heating up to the normal temperatures (180 to 200 deg F is ideal) then there's no need to add Camguard to the engine oil.

As a point of reference, Continental increases the TBO of its factory re man and new engines by 200 hours if they consistently fly 40 hours per month. In other words, Continental's idea of normal use is 40 hours a month.

Let's say you fly 100 hours a year. Are those 100 hours evenly spread out over all 12 months (that's an average of 8.5 hours a month), or do you fly a lot in the summer fair weather months and then not so much in the winter months?

Are there months when you, due to weather, personal, family, or business obligations when you can't get to the airport to fly?

These are questions that, when weighed, apply to using Camguard.

It seems relatively expensive. Current price is around $25 per pint. I've seen evidence that it works so I put it in my Comanche simply because I don't fly as often as I'd like

If you want to know more about the science behind the product, I recommend that pull up YouTube and type "Ed Kollin Camguard" into the search bar.

Best,
Steve

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
1 month 8 hours ago #2722 by Marc Bicking
Replied by Marc Bicking on topic Camguard?
As a company that owns and lease back multiple 162's, AeroShell W15W-50 alone is more than adequate for providing effective lubrication under all conditions. Considering that some of our aircraft are flying 100 hours a month or more, no additives are used and the oil/filter are changed every 50 hours with excellent results. For my personal, low use 162, I will change the oil every 50 hours or four months whichever comes first.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Eric Bioren, Ralph Paquette

• Eric Bioren
  • Eric Bioren's Avatar Topic Author
  • Subscriber
  • Subscriber
More
1 month 8 hours ago #2721 by Eric Bioren
Camguard? was created by Eric Bioren
I am planning on using AeroShell 15W50 for my next oil change in the Continental O-200D. The engine logbook indicates that Camguard was added during past oil changes. However, the AeroShell website has the following statement regarding 15W50: "The advanced additive package in AeroShell W 15 W 50 provides excellent protection to engines operating at extreme ambient temperatures. The ashless anti-wear additive package provides exceptional wear protection for camshafts and lifters and other wearing surfaces."
Does this mean that Camguard is not recommended when using AeroShell 15W50?

Time to create page: 0.191 seconds