Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Panel Mount I-com plugins in the ashtray

Panel Mount I-com plugins in the ashtray 5 years 5 months ago #27

• Jen D
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 6
I've asked Steve Ells and here's his answer:

"The decision on how and where to mount the headset (and intercom) plugs is always up to the owner when working with the installer. Installers can manufacturer a mounting that installs in place of the ashtrays, or can use one of the commercially developed products.
To my knowledge, and it’s been a while so I may be behind the times, the intercom manufacturers do not provide specialized mounting bracketry or hardware. In some cases they don’t even provide a wiring harness for the airframe since the intercom units are adaptable to any number of different airframes.
I have seen small formed plastic plug receptacles that mount on the interior sidewall but since I’m on the road rather than near one of my product catalogs right now, I can’t point you to a part number or supplier.
A knowledgeable and experienced avionics installation shop will be able to provide guidance in the installation options."

I did notice that Aircraft Spruce had component pieces - jacks and plugs - but not a specific ashtray plug-in. We'll keep looking. - Jen
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Panel Mount I-com plugins in the ashtray 5 years 5 months ago #26

• Jen D
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 6
HI Jim,

I saw this from a 2007 post on the 170 group's forums: "I slid my rear ashtrays out of their holders, cut the bottoms off with a hacksaw, and pop-rivited a flat piece of half-moon shaped aluminum within/across the top. The lid still closes upon it and it looks like ordinary ashtrays...until you open the lid to reveal the jack-sockets."
www.cessna170.org

Will keep looking

- Jen
Last Edit: 5 years 5 months ago by Jen D.

Panel Mount I-com plugins in the ashtray 5 years 5 months ago #25

I remember seeing ads for an intercom system wherein the plugins for both the front and back seats were installed in the ashtray openings. However, I don't recall who made them and searching on Google did not turn up anything. Does anyone know what I am referencing? If so, would you please let me know?

Thanks,
Jim Fluty
Time to create page: 0.210 seconds