Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Better seat belts

Better seat belts 3 weeks 4 days ago #1070

• ROD KLEISS
  • Subscriber
Thanks Jose. You've given me a lot to consider.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Better seat belts 3 weeks 4 days ago #1069

Rod,
I am sure you know that the 15 extra HP will give you shorter takeoffs and higher rate of climb but not faster cruise speed.
To increase cruise speed you need to reduce drag a lot, so if you want a faster 172, buy a Cutlass. Speed kits are overrated. You need to spend thousands of dollars to gain a couple of irrelevant knots. Do the numbers, a 240 NM flight @ 120 KTAS takes 2 hours. The same flight @ 122 KTAS will save you 2 minutes. It just doesn’t make sense.

This said, the truth is that owning a Cessna doesn’t make sense. We do it because it’s a pleasure, so we don’t need to justify anything. I know a C170 with $250K in “improvements” which owner wouldn’t be happier with a Citation.

Reducing the low end speed is a lot more productive. Adding a Sportsman leading edge and VG makes a LOT of difference in STOL operations. Always will be a penalty in cruise speed but not a lot.

Adding just VG to your airplane will mostly give you more rudder, elevator and ailerons authority at low speed, what is great in crosswind landings. Again, it will be a small penalty in cruise speed.

I am not aware of any single modification for the 172 that will let you go both slower and faster, as you want. For the 182, a canard wing improves both, but a little in the fast end and a lot in the slow end.

BTW, I have a 182Q. I don’t know if a 172XP has room for a center console. You can use two MH electronic devices with a tank if you want to spend $2K+ extra to use standard cannulas instead of moustaches. I only have oxygen for the front seats. I don’t see the need to have oxygen in the back. If I have passengers, I don’t fly high for extended periods.
Last Edit: 3 weeks 3 days ago by Jose Lopezdelpuerto.

Better seat belts 3 weeks 4 days ago #1068

• ROD KLEISS
  • Subscriber
Thanks again Jose. That also looks like just the kind of oxygen kit I am looking for. Do you have a 172? Mine is a 1978 model. I'm wondering if the SAIR organizer will fit between the front seats. I see the pulse demand system is for 2 occupants. Could I add another unit for a third passenger or do you do something else when you have more passengers?

And since you are giving me such great advice, I have a few more questions. Of course I would like my plane to go both slower and faster. I'm getting the upgrade to 210 HP right now. The wheel skirts are old and broken. I've been wondering if the knots-to-u skirts would actually add any real speed and if they are easily removable, since I live in a northern climate and can't have them on in the winter. I'm also wondering if wing vortex generators are a good choice. If they slowed me at the top end, I'm not sure I would like that. Do you know anything about either one of those systems?

Better seat belts 3 weeks 4 days ago #1066

Rod,

I have the BAS standard buckle, but most pilots prefer the utility buckle.

Regarding oxygen, I use Aerox Conserving Cannulas (moustaches) connected to a long 22 CuFt bottle under a SAIR center console. With my setup, at 10K one person consumes half cubic feet per hour. For just the pilot, with the tank full I have enough oxygen to fly 45 hours at 10K. Too much oxygen really, but I bought the largest capacity tank that fitted under the Center console, since the difference in price of the tanks is irrelevant, a 22 CuFt system is only $25 more than a 9 CuFt system, so buy the largest tank that fits your airplane comfortably to save in trips to refill the tank.

aerox.com/product-category/portable-oxygen-systems/

The Mountain High electronic pulse demand oxygen system lets you use a regular cannula, but it’s not cheap. The Conserving Cannula is comfortable enough for me.

www.mhoxygen.com/index.php/component/attachments/download/727

No matter the system, buy a pulse oximeter. When I bought mine, they cost close to $200, no they are close to $20.

www.aviationconsumer.com/issues/49_9/acc...o-Ignore_7112-1.html

Last Edit: 3 weeks 4 days ago by Jose Lopezdelpuerto.

Better seat belts 3 weeks 4 days ago #1063

• ROD KLEISS
  • Subscriber
Thanks Jose. That is exactly what I'm looking for. Would you know anything about the different choices for buckles? I'm also wondering about oxygen systems. I see when I go over 10,000 feet, my blood oxygen starts dropping. It would be nice to have oxygen available but i'd hate to have tubes and bottles dangling all over the place.

Better seat belts 3 weeks 5 days ago #1062

Not all, but almost all Cessna pilots agree that the BAS is the best available.

basinc-aeromod.com/cessna.php
The following user(s) said Thank You: ROD KLEISS
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.306 seconds