Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Can lingering on right or left during mag check create a problem

Can lingering on right or left during mag check create a problem 1 week 1 day ago #1266

• Jen D
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 6
Hi Gary,
Unfortunately, the software does not allow the topic to be deleted (except by an administrator) if there are answers posted. I think this conversation may have value for others who have heard the same. I have found over the years that the same or similar questions come up often.

Thanks for posting!

Jen
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Can lingering on right or left during mag check create a problem 1 week 2 days ago #1265

I realized I had misunderstood what I heard. I do not think this question any longer holds value and would cancel if I knew how.

Can lingering on right or left during mag check create a problem 1 week 2 days ago #1264

• STEVE ELLS
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 32
It won't hurt the engine to run on one mag during an engine run up prior to take off. If you're leaning to taxi I recommend that you do not return the mixture to full rich for the run up. If the mix is a little too lean you will experience a smooth loss of rpm; if that happens richen the mixture slightly and try it again.
The desired procedure if you lose a mag in flight is to reduce power slightly and run on the operating magneto.
Combustion will be slower and not as complete but the engine will still run well. There just won't be as much power extracted from the fuel due to the less complete combustion.

Can lingering on right or left during mag check create a problem 1 week 2 days ago #1262

I think she has participated in overhauls. She is very familiar with auto engines. I just think this time she overstated or over thought what could happen without really thinking the practical side of a few extra seconds and how lean cruise would probably burn stuff off it any was to actually appear. I do not want to question her skill and integrity; I believe she is a great instructor. I just think this one time there is more (or I misunderstood her) and am wondering if there is any history of this as a problem.
Last Edit: 1 week 2 days ago by GARY PALMER.

Can lingering on right or left during mag check create a problem 1 week 2 days ago #1261

• BOB WEBER
  • Subscriber
GARY PALMER wrote:
Recent discussion with my instructor resulted in something I do not understand. I get what she meant, but in my over-analyzing the topic...
During mag check, I switch to right to observe the drop and then check oil temp and pressure, and then check EGT/CHT (I have monitors on each cylinder). Then I return to both and let the engine settle (5 seconds or so) and then switch left to repeat the process.
The comment was made after I hesitated for both left and right in order to check ammeter and vacuum. There is no need to check ammeter and vaccum since they are not affected by mags. I agree.
But also stated that the extra few seconds is possibly detrimental to the engine because the unburned fuel could cause carbon build-up.
My observation: if unburned fuel could cause carbon during mag check, would it have noticeable impact when I switch to the other side. I feel that a few seconds makes no noticeable difference and the next runup would pass/fail mag check and I would burn off the excess carbon. It feels chicken and egg.
Comments?

Full throttle and leaned properly should clear up any residual carbon that may build up during a run up.

My mother used to request that I borrow her car from time to time because it always ran better after I drove it... for this very reason..

Has this woman ever participated in any engine overhauls?

Can lingering on right or left during mag check create a problem 1 week 3 days ago #1260

Recent discussion with my instructor resulted in something I do not understand. I get what she meant, but in my over-analyzing the topic...
During mag check, I switch to right to observe the drop and then check oil temp and pressure, and then check EGT/CHT (I have monitors on each cylinder). Then I return to both and let the engine settle (5 seconds or so) and then switch left to repeat the process.
The comment was made after I hesitated for both left and right in order to check ammeter and vacuum. There is no need to check ammeter and vaccum since they are not affected by mags. I agree.
But also stated that the extra few seconds is possibly detrimental to the engine because the unburned fuel could cause carbon build-up.
My observation: if unburned fuel could cause carbon during mag check, would it have noticeable impact when I switch to the other side. I feel that a few seconds makes no noticeable difference and the next runup would pass/fail mag check and I would burn off the excess carbon. It feels chicken and egg.
Comments?
Time to create page: 0.118 seconds