Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: cessna 172rg landing gear question

cessna 172rg landing gear question 1 week 2 days ago #1353

• STEVE ELLS
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 38
Hi Matt; I realize I didn't really provide hardly any information on the 172RG in my response last week. And I'm sorry for my curt answer.
One thing you can do very easily is to type "Cessna 172RG POH" into your favorite search engine and in seconds you'll have access to a POH for the 172RG. Red Sky Ventures often has these manuals.
I asked before and I'm wondering what about the 172RG has whetted your interest??
As I mentioned in my last post, many 172RGs piled up a lot of airframe time due to being used in training.
Since the FAA changed the rules and no longer requires a commercial pilot applicant to fly a retractable, gear, constant speed propeller airplane many 172RGs are coming on the market.
There are two ways to buy an airplane. But one that needs work or an extensive avionics upgrade and plow money into it until it's up to what you want, or buy the best equipped and best looking airplane you can afford, and then fly it. I usually advise buyers to take the second route unless they are very handy and a local A & P mechanic is willing to supervise and sign off your work.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

cessna 172rg landing gear question 2 weeks 4 days ago #1350

• STEVE ELLS
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 38
Hi Matt;
The landing gear system of the 172RG is very simple and is the last iteration of Cessna's retractable LG systems. So the system itself is good.
Unfortunately the parts in the landing gear system known as the pivots are extremely expensive. The landing gear legs slide into the pivots, which look something like the Y of a slingshot.
The pivots transfer the load from the landing gear to the fuselage therefore if a 172RG has been used in flight training--many were since it was built to comply with the mandate that Commercial pilot students must log some hours in a retractable gear, airplane with a constant speed prop--it has probably had many more landings than flight hours. And as everyone knows, once in a while all airplanes suffer hard landings.
My suggestion is that you buy a 172RG on the condition that the landing gear pivots pass a dye penetrant inspection for cracks. This will require the airplane to be jacked up, the landing gear legs and pivots be removed, the paint be stripped off the pivots before the dye penetrant test is done.
No cracks?? Buy it if it's equipped with the gear you want.
Why are you looking for a 172RG??

cessna 172rg landing gear question 1 month 1 day ago #1338

Hi, I'm in the early stages of looking into buying a cessna 172rg. I've owned a cessna 150 in the past and sold it a few years back. I was hoping I could get some 172rg owners to chime in. I've heard that you need to have to gear looked at really well in a pre-buy. I've also heard they can be a nightmare if you need to fix or replace parts. Is this true and have people had lots of problems with them often? Are owners worried about gear up landing or is that more of a pilot problem not following the check list? Is their anything else besides the gear that needs to be looked out for? Any info that could be helpful would be great. I'm sure I'll have more questions as I get into the buying more. Thanks
Time to create page: 0.078 seconds