Right Battery to buy 1975 172M

More
1 month 3 weeks ago #3364 by GARY PALMER
Replied by GARY PALMER on topic Right Battery to buy 1975 172M
Actually, like I said, my A&P installed the connection to the battery with the in-line fuse. The cigarette lighter would not work because it is dead when the master is off. So the batter connection is direct to the regulator. The bottom picture shows the inside the cabin connection. I changed plugs to use those orange ones as I was able to make them more sturdy (filled with epoxy and a better grip). I left the default plug for the battery line to the regulator; I did not like two identical plugs for different purposes. I disconnect the charger when I fly. Since it is not connected, as you said, no approval needed.

It works great and in my cigarette lighter is one of those voltage display USB adapters so I can monitor that line voltage.

All done, it works great and the cord gets in the way of the headphone jack, to help make sure I remember to disconnect! ;-) (and yes, it is also in my checklist)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
1 month 4 weeks ago #3363 by STEVE ELLS
Replied by STEVE ELLS on topic Right Battery to buy 1975 172M
Hi Gary,
Thank you.
I'm assuming you wired that plug into the cigar lighter circuit?
And since it was unplugged during flight, no approval was required.
Thanks,
Steve

More
1 month 4 weeks ago #3362 by GARY PALMER
Parts from harborfreight.com, THUNDERBOLT SOLAR
Panel, $14.99
www.harborfreight.com/15-watt-solar-battery-charger-62449.html
1.5 Watt Solar Battery Charger
Put this compact solar battery charger on your car's dashboard for a steady trickle charge

Voltage Regulator $19.99
www.harborfreight.com/7-amp-solar-charge-regulator-96728.html
100 Watt Solar Charge Regulator
Prevent battery overcharge and discharge

I spoke to a concorde battery representative and he agreed that these 2 parts would provide a controlled trickle which would not hurt the battery. (note, YMMV)
I have had this installed for years and my battery is always strong (except when it was about 7 years old). I began using this when the battery was brand new!
I understand this is not a TSO'd addition. I asked for help from an A&P who wired the regulator direct to the battery with an inline fuse.
I did not use the cigarette lighter because it is not powered all the time.
Attachments:

More
2 months 11 hours ago #3361 by STEVE ELLS
Hi Julien;
I like Concorde batteries and have been using them for over 2 decades in my airplane.
Please tell my what battery is in your airplane now. If you have a 25 size battery, you'll need a Concorde 25; if it's the bigger 35 size, I recommend you get the 35.
If you have 110 VDC power available I recommend that you get the proper Battery Minder charger desulphator at www.batteryminders.com . The battery minder is expensive but I kept my Concorde battery plugged in to one and it lasted 8 years.

Installation of a Concorde battery is approved by STC. Concorde battery products will send you a copy of the STC (for free) by contacting the company at www.concordebattery.com . You can ask for the STC paperwork by hitting the "contact" button on the website of calling 626-813-1234 and asking for customer support.

More
2 months 11 hours ago #3360 by STEVE ELLS
Hi Gary,
I would like to know all the details of the solar charger system you're using.
I have been asked this question many times--can I plug the charger into the cigarette lighter? or can I charge the battery through the ground power plug, etc.-- and always tell people that some additional wiring has to be installed to charge a battery with a solar charger.

I would like to be able to pass on a working solution to other readers so the more information and photos you can send the better.

Thanks
Steve

More
2 months 12 hours ago #3359 by GARY PALMER
I think this is the original B-Box in my 172M (Juliet) and I have a concorde battery. It works well. I am in a tiedown so I put a solar charger with voltage regulator on it. Keeps the battery conditioned and topped off.

Time to create page: 0.135 seconds