Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Engine monitors

Engine monitors 2 months 1 week ago #737

• STEVE ELLS
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 17
Hi Stephen,
Steve Ells here. When you ask for EGT numbers you should realize that the actual nominal value (the number) is of little value by itself. Due to variances in each installation such as how far from the exhaust port the EGT probe is installed, the orientation of the probe(s) relative the fore and aft alignment, etc. the number from another 182 will not be a viable EGT number for your installation.
EGT numbers are invaluable for leaning and the main use is finding the number where the cylinders hit peak EGT. I'll guarantee you,due to the rudimentary induction system on the 182 engine, that no two cylinders on your engine will hit peak at the same fuel flow. So always select the FIRST cylinder to achieve peak as the one to lean off of. I believe your JPI monitor actually has a Rich of Peak "first cylinder to peak" option that will help you find the first.
One time an EGT number is used is when setting takeoff mixtures when flying from a high altitude airport. As you know lower atmospheric pressures at altitude lessen the amount of oxygen in the air therefore less fuel is needed to achieve the correct mixtures.
My advice is to select (and write down) the EGT number of one cylinder (#1, #2, or) during a normal full throttle takeoff from a sea level airport. Lean at high altitude airport take offs by pulling back on your mixture control until you get the same EGT number on your chosen cylinder. Then you'll have the correct takeoff mixture for that takeoff at that altitude.
The critical number, and the one you can control is CHT. Prevent CHTs from going above 400 deg F. You can open your cowl flaps, lessen the climb angle or richen the fuel air mixture to control your CHTS.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Engine monitors 2 months 1 week ago #734

Do you mind me asking how much it cost installed? Thanks.

Engine monitors 1 year 2 months ago #554

I also just installed the jpi in my 182Q. The information on each cylinder is such a advantage. I have the p-ponk conversion to 265 hp. what kind of fuel burn are you guys seeing . Also, are you guys leaning ROP & what is the recommended EGT & CHT numbers

Any advice or recommendations appreciated

Stephen

Engine monitors 1 year 3 months ago #545

Thanks. Nice unit. Certainly more affordable.

Engine monitors 1 year 3 months ago #544

• Tjonesfly
  • Subscriber
Probably not, but I did not really investigate that one as an option. The owner of my shop said he had installed so many JPI's with so few issues I took his advice. I have about 75 hours on it and not had any issues.

Engine monitors 1 year 3 months ago #543

Looks great. If the CGR, now primary, had been available would you have chosen that over secondary?
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.230 seconds