Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Carb heat extraction point

Carb heat extraction point 6 months 2 weeks ago #889

For some reason the picture was rotated 90 degrees CC when uploaded
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Carb heat extraction point 6 months 2 weeks ago #888

Steve, thank you for the quick reply.

Picture of muffler shroud with blocked carb heat port. The muffler and shroud where not replaced just the stacks and collectors.

I just don't understand why someone would go through the trouble to weld the port closed and install a muff on the exhaust pipe for the heat extraction.

I looked to see if there was an STC to change this but didn't have any luck.

There are two ram air inlets connected to the muffler shroud also.
Attachments:

Carb heat extraction point 6 months 3 weeks ago #883

• STEVE ELLS
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 27
Hi Gary;
If you can determine who fabricated your new exhaust stacks/collectors, they can most likely supply you with a shroud that will fit your new parts.
The other option is to remove the plug, if the removal won't damage the shroud. This should allow you to use heat extracted by that shroud as your carb heat source.
The sticking point is: is the new muffler a similar size to the old part? This is important because there must be enough surface area to supply the amount of heat needed to comply with certification regulations; and to de ice your carburetor in all foreseeable conditions.
The carb and cabin heat systems work by taking in ram air, circulating it around the outside of what some call a muffler and then ducting it to the carburetor heat box or the cabin. There are 2 ram air inlets on your airplane; they must both be open and connected to the shroud.
Let me know if I can help further.
If I'm still missing something, please reply; attaching photos helps.
Steve

Carb heat extraction point 6 months 3 weeks ago #881

I'm a new member and have a new to me 182B with O470L engine.
Looking in the IPC it shows the carb heat air getting extracted from the muffler shroud.
The outlet flange on the muffler shroud is there but has been welded closed with a block off plate at some point previous.
The old exhaust had a heat muff on #2 exhaust stack to supply the heat to the carburetor.
I had to replace the exhaust stacks/collectors, and the muff that fit the old #2 exhaust stack will not work on the new one.
My question is.
Do I try to locate a heat muff that fits the new #2 exhaust stack or remove the plug someone welded on the muffler shroud flange and utilize that as the heat source as per the IPC?
Thanks,
Gary
Time to create page: 0.199 seconds