Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Slow Skylane

Slow Skylane 2 months 2 weeks ago #1005

Sorry for the typo- Of course is is a "P"

The instruments idea is interesting, we did have a new electronic engine monitor installed at the same time as the engine. The analog gauges are in good cooralation with the digital. Will have to check the logs to see if we had anything done to the analog tach or MP. That would suggest we were beating up the old engine pretty bad.

And yes we have verify the ASI.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Slow Skylane 2 months 2 weeks ago #1004

Dave Johnson wrote:
It is a 1976 "Q" model.
Dave,
First Q model was the 1977 182Q serial 18265176. Yours could be a 1976 P or a 1977 Q.
No work was done to the rigging, The rigging appears ok, although we have not done a in-depth review.

Most probably, the problem is rigging or instruments. If with your old engine the instruments were showing less than real and not now, you are now running at lower power. Rigging is an art and can be destroyed easily with just hitting an aileron with the head. Cowl flaps affect airspeed too. In my 1979 Q, airspeed increases 5 knots when I close the cowl flaps. Finally, your ASI could be out. Have you verified your TAS? If not, you can do it in the following page:

www.csgnetwork.com/tasgpscalc.html
Last Edit: 2 months 2 weeks ago by Jose Lopezdelpuerto.

Slow Skylane 2 months 2 weeks ago #1003

It is a 1976 "Q" model. No work was done to the rigging, The rigging appears ok, although we have not done a in-depth review. (I believe you had a discussion in the Magazine on checking rigging.) )wheel pants were not touched. (except the nose pant was re-painted.) We have asked at least two different A&P to look at the engine mounts with no findings.

The comment about the cowling mounts is interesting. Comparing to other 182 the angle of the spinner to the cowlings is not the same. (Adding to the off thrust line theory.) However if the rubber-mounted fasteners are sagging that would contribute to the off-thrust look. Won't help with the speed.

We will keep looking and I'll let you know.

Slow Skylane 2 months 3 weeks ago #1000

• STEVE ELLS
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 27
Hi, It seems to me that only way that the thrust line would be off is if the engine mount was bent. One "rough" way to check engine and prop alignment is to look to see whether the prop/crankshaft is aligned with the cowling. Does the prop spinner line up with the shape of the front of the cowling?
As I said that's a rough way because starting in 1973 Cessna changed the cowling mounting method from being fastened securely to the boot cowl to a floating system where the cowling was secured to rubber-mounted fasteners.
The idea was to prevent engine and prop pulse vibrations from bearing on the passenger cabin. The thought was that this would create a smoother ride and a quieter cabin.
Unfortunately, the rubber shock mounts were not very durable so when a few had sagged after taking a load "set" the cowling was out of the desired position, and often did end up contacting the airframe.
So, if your airplane is a 1973 or later, I recommend that you take a close look at the cowling shock mounts. The original part number is S2155-1. That number has been superseded to J7444-24. Street cost is around $30 a piece. There are 12 in the cowling support system.
If you find sagging mounts, you'll need to replace those in order to restore the cowling to the designed position; then you can check the alignment of the engine and prop spinner to the cowling exit.
Many owners decided that the factory system was a burdensome labor and expense load and opted to install the conversion kit from Skybolt Industries (www.skybolt.com.) The Skybolt kit is a huge improvement in both durability and quality. The conversion kit retails for around $700.
The other thing that would cause this kind of speed loss is a change in the rigging of your airplane. Were any flight controls changed? Was any maintenance performed on the rigging or did you remove the wheel pants?
Please let me know what you find.

Slow Skylane 2 months 3 weeks ago #998

We had a Continental Factory new engine installed about three years ago. Since the new engine we have lost about 5KTs. The engine is running like a top, we have had the Governor checked, the rigging checked and just about anything else anyone can suggest. One of my partners is convinced the engine pitch is off so the thrust line is out of sync with the aircraft. Anyone know how to check this?
Time to create page: 0.298 seconds