Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Towing by the tail tie down.

Towing by the tail tie down. 2 days 21 hours ago #1409

I would give some thought to towing backwards from farther forward on the plane Maybe tie each end of a rope (or similar) to each gear leg just below the step, loop it back about 10 feet to a single line that then would pull along the longitudinal centerline.. After all, the tail of an airplane is nothing compared to the rest of the plane. Think of it as towing a tricycle backwards. Thinking out load.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Towing by the tail tie down. 2 days 22 hours ago #1408

I bought a used winch for $100. We will make a harness to loop over the steps to use on the mains. Good to know Cessna’s view.

Thank you.

Towing by the tail tie down. 1 week 1 day ago #1398

• STEVE ELLS
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 39
When I worked at a different Cessna group as a tech advisor, we asked Cessna if it was OK to tow a 182 into a hangar using a winch attached to the tail tie down ring. As I recall, the Cessna representative told us it was OK to tow by the tail hook as long as there were no abrupt edges or curbs that the airplane had to be towed over.
If there were, we were advised to fabricate small ramps of wood, metal or asphalt to smooth the abrupt changes.

Towing by the tail tie down. 1 week 1 day ago #1397

• STEVE ELLS
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 39
Hi, Another option that seems to provide a much stronger attach point to pull against is the patented and PMA/FAA approved Cessna TAILSLIDE by Pete and Shiley Nelson at www.middleforkmods.com in Challis, ID.
The TAILSLIDE is a steel tail skid and tie down that is attached to the airframe and is much stronger than the original Cessna tie down ring.
The TAILSLIDE is approved for 182s, 206s, 207s and 210s. Approval for installing the TAILSLIDE on the 172 is pending. Cost is $1500 per slide.

Towing by the tail tie down. 2 weeks 1 day ago #1387

The safest method will be to add a towing hook.

Towing by the tail tie down. 2 weeks 2 days ago #1386

Thanks for the video. But this was more of a question of is it safe to do? Yes thousands of pilots put their aircraft away this way. The POH for a few aircraft specifically prohibit towing by the tail tie down. But for those where the POH is silent (all Cessnas, as far as I can tell) Is it safe to do? I find it a bit surprising how little specific information there is, other than ‘“I’ve done this for years without a problem.”
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.098 seconds