Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Cessna TR182 Turbine Inlet Temperature

Cessna TR182 Turbine Inlet Temperature 3 days 52 minutes ago #1407

“This makes sense and is pretty much in line with what Mooney and Piper are advising on their planes with similar engines... I wonder why other manufacturers with like engines list a maximum TIT but Cessna does not.”

Probably because the TR182 powerplant is unique. Cessna used a normally aspirated Lycoming O-540 engine and a third party turbo to create an hybrid turbonormalized.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Cessna TR182 Turbine Inlet Temperature 3 days 2 hours ago #1406

Jose, thanks for the speedy response. This makes sense and is pretty much in line with what Mooney and Piper are advising on their planes with similar engines. I have been leaning to 1500 to 1550 but my plugs are showing some accumulation when pulled for annual inspections which would lead me to suspect I may be running a little rich. Additionally, your advice on CHT is comfortably below the 500 CHT maximum limit. I wonder why other manufacturers with like engines list a maximum TIT but Cessna does not. The plane is in for it's annual now. I'll use your recommendation and see what the plugs look like next year and maybe save some $$$ on fuel too. If anyone else has some advice, documentation, data or experience on the subject, please post. Thanks again!

Cessna TR182 Turbine Inlet Temperature 3 days 5 hours ago #1405

James,
This is what I have learnt. The temp in the stack falls off very fast as you move the EGT probe down the stack. Since each installation is different, EGT or TIT numbers are not absolute. Normally, one will spect that TIT exceeds the EGT average by a small amount (say 50 to 70 degrees F) since the TIT probe is reading 6 multi-pulses of exhaust gases and EGT probes only one, but this depends of the specific points where all the probes are installed. If the EGT probes are too close to the cylinders, the TIT probe will show a lower temp than the EGT average. In other words, since installations differ so much and there are very few TR182s, there is no way to establish an universal max TIT, but according to George Bradly, temps in excess of 1650 will reduce the turbo life. A friend who flies a TR182 leans the mixture to 1600 TIT but stops if CHT reaches 380. This is a common way to protect the engine and the turbo.
Last Edit: 3 days 5 hours ago by Jose Lopezdelpuerto.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JAMES KIEFER

Cessna TR182 Turbine Inlet Temperature 3 days 15 hours ago #1404

I fly a 1979 Turbo Skylane RG (TR182, O-540-L3C5D Lycoming) I have tried to find a limitation for maximum turbine inlet temperature but have not been able to find a definite limit. Lycoming has some excellent leaning articles but for a spec, they advise to look in the POH. The POH for this plane does not list a maximum limit for TIT. I have an Insight Engine Monitor and use it for leaning. My concern is that the displayed TIT is too high before before there is any indication of engine roughness. I don't want to be too aggressive in leaning for cruise in order to maximize engine life. Thanks in advance for a reference or any thoughts on the subject.
Time to create page: 0.100 seconds