HELP!!

More
1 year 4 weeks ago #1551 by STEVE ELLS
Replied by STEVE ELLS on topic HELP!!
Oh yeah, one more thing. You'll have to buy a new battery. I like the Concorde RG 35 AXC. It's expensive ($330) but you can also install a Gill G-35 for around $220. The shop there will certainly mark these up if they order, buy and install one.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
1 year 4 weeks ago #1550 by STEVE ELLS
Hi Susan;
You're welcome. But I forgot to mention a couple of things.
You will need to add the following to the request for quote.
1) drain the fuel
2) clean the main fuel filter
3) Drain the carburetor bowl
4) fill with fresh fuel
Do all these chores prior to starting the engine.

More
1 year 1 month ago #1549 by susan bemis
Replied by susan bemis on topic HELP!!
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU -WILL DO RIGHT AWAY!!!!!
SUSAN

More
1 year 1 month ago #1548 by STEVE ELLS
Hi Susan;
I want you to do two things:
1) go to your local shop and ask them for a QUOTE to a) change the oil and filter, b) run the engine on the ground, c) do a compression check, borescope the cylinders and camshaft if they can access it,, and if the engine seems flyable to sign off the ferry permit.
Don't let them do anything until I review the quote.
2) Call Phil and ask him if he has the manpower to go to your airplane and inspect the engine as in 1) above.

If Phil doesn't, you'll have to hire your local mechanic to determine is the engine is healthy enough for the ferry flight.

Keep your fingers crossed. Sometimes an engine with a lot of time on it, will build up a coat of varnish on the internal parts. This varnish layer sometimes protects against corrosion.
If you want to call to talk this over, my number is 805 714 8068. Tomorrow after 8 am is the best time to reach me.

More
1 year 1 month ago #1547 by susan bemis
Replied by susan bemis on topic HELP!!
1. There was nothing to preserve the engine during this period of time
2. No one has run the airplane - last time I flew it was from EAS to current location in Pacoima, Calif.10 years ago
3. It has been out in the ramp, but well protected between 2 buildings,
4. # of hours - 2442.7
Do you think my next step would be to call Phil? Evaluate for a compression check, borescope??
Anything I should have this current mechanic owner do??
I cannot thank-you enough for giving me some direction. We are planning on moving to Arroyo Grande which is close to Santa Maria - so this may be the best move yet for me.
Thank you Steve
Respectfully,
Susan

More
1 year 1 month ago #1545 by STEVE ELLS
Hi Susan; The hair on the back of my neck is standing up as I read what this guy is saying to you.
Questions:
Was anything done to preserve the engine during the inactive period?
Has anyone run the airplane during the inactive period?
Has your airplane been hangared, or has it been out on the ramp?
How many hours were on the engine when you stopped flying it?
Depending on a number of factors there's a possibility that the engine is rusted internally.
If the engine is healthy, which can be determined by a borescope inspection and a compression check, then you're over the first hurdle.
That said, there are many systems that will most likely be affected by a 10 year hiatus. Only a detailed inspection and systems check out will provide the answers to what needs to be done and how much it will cost to return your airplane to airworthy status.
I would talk to Phil Kirkham at Coastal Valley about the possibility of one of his mechanics coming down there to do the pre-ferry inspection. I think Phil can also come up with a qualified pilot to fly it north to KSMX.
If Phil OKs the engine then my suggestion is to get a ferry permit and fly it up to Coastal Valley aviation ( www.cvamx.com ) in Santa Maria, CA.
The process for a ferry permit requires that you apply to the local FSDO for the permit, then a licensed A & P has to sign off the logbook certifying that it's OK to fly the route specified in the ferry permit.
I've known Phil and the guys at Coastal Valley for over 20 years and they do know Cessnas.

I'd like to help you get your airplane flying again. Do not hesitate to ask questions or seek advice.

Time to create page: 0.130 seconds