Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: I Think I Have Cessna PTSD

I Think I Have Cessna PTSD 1 month 1 week ago #1663

• Steve Rhode
  • Subscriber
  • Thank you received: 1
Kent,

I always say there is no sense wasting a perfectly good mistake. I've been flying since 1988 and this isn't even close to the first phase of airborne incidents. I'm in the fourth phase of incidents now. LOL.

I wish I could just fly oblivious to everything going on but all of my incidents have surrounded the engine compartment in some fashion. Maybe the worst non-engine issue was when I was pointing out a static wick to someone and it fell off in my hand.

A bit of reflection on the incident and using it to figure out what I could do better next time and like a nutter, I'm back in the air. I do have aEDM900 engine monitor and I will download the data and study is closely to see if I can learn anything more from it.

I know me, Afew flights and I'll be back feeling back to usual again.

Ironically, my aviation mentor who had more alarming stories than I ever had, died is a takeoff stall crash. Not even engine-related at all. He would entertain me with tails from his 8,000 hours of sparkplugs falling out in-flight or losing half his fuel system or some other unbelievable issue.

It's just nice to know there are others out there that get the wobbles after an incident. Us pilots are not used to admitting that kind of stuff.

I hope to see you back in the air soon.

And never forget the first law of flying - there is no sense dying all tensed up.

Steve
The administrator has disabled public write access.

I Think I Have Cessna PTSD 1 month 1 week ago #1661

• KENT VANDENBERG
  • Subscriber
  • Thank you received: 2
Steve - I can relate! See my post and story in the 205/206/207 forum on my cracked oil pan. If it would have happened 5 miles further out than it did, I would have run out of oil and seized the engine but fortunately, I made it to my home base airport, even made it to my hanger, not knowing I had an emergency in process, and no damage to the engine. It’s been hard for me to get back in the air but I’m looking at my incident as a chance for me to become a better pilot.
Kent
The following user(s) said Thank You: Steve Rhode

I Think I Have Cessna PTSD 1 month 2 weeks ago #1651

• Steve Rhode
  • Subscriber
  • Thank you received: 1
I'm just joking about the Plane Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) but I just dealt with yet another issue that bumps me off-kilter in my oblivious comfort zone.

Over the years I've read many posts from people who say they never have an issue and their aircraft runs like a champ. Hooray for them.

And it might just be that my 300+ hours a year is going to make it more likely to have an issue but at some point it gets tiresome. And I stay on top of maintenance.

My most recent experience was on a night flight home last weekend the JPI EDM900 engine monitor started to wiggle the oil pressure a bit and it caught my attention. And then it went to a red X and winked out entirely. It would come back for a minute or two and wink out to the red X again. Thankfully when my EDM900 was installed the mechanic left the old analog oil pressure gauge so I had that to fall back on.

But after ten minutes with the EDM900 gauge oil pressure winking off for a minute and then on for 30 seconds it started to cause the engine warning light to blink when it would come back on and start at 0 PSI, Winking off was just fine but now I had a new issue with the engine warning light. This was on top of an unusual config error when the Aspen booted up.

The series of issues led me to do the only logical thing I could do with a big dark stretch of no airports ahead, land. I diverted to a well-respected maintenance facility on my route and when they started the plane, the EDM900 worked perfectly and the problem could not be repeated.

The oil pressure thing always raises my threat level because about three years ago when I lost all oil pressure at 10,000 due to an oil filter extender a mechanic had not safety wired. Declared an inflight emergency and landed safely.

This will pass but I was wondering if other 182 pilots also experienced Cessna PTSD after an unexpected issue in the air.
Time to create page: 0.083 seconds