Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: 182RG modifications....What can be done?

182RG modifications....What can be done? 9 months 3 hours ago #538

• cook11
  • Subscriber
  • Thank you received: 1
Hey guys I have been flying the 182RG for awhile now and its a great aircraft. Will be looking at getting the engine done by Victor probably next year, maybe sooner. I have been wondering what the differences are between the Horton/Robertson and Wing-X STOL kits? I am curious to know if anyone has flown either a 182/185/206 with these kits to give a comparison between the two of them? Also are you able to use VG's with the Horton/Robertson kits? If so what improvements were noticed when VG's were added to the Horton/Robertson STOL kits? Thanks in advance!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

182RG modifications....What can be done? 2 years 4 months ago #191

To expand on what has been posted thus far....
VG's on an R182 are not without penalty. A deeply experienced operator of over 20 yrs installed the Micro VG's on a 78 R182 and saw a 5 knot loss in cruise. The vendor proposed an alternative placement and that procedure was undertaken but top speed continued to be 5 knots low. The owner removed the VG's and repainted the wing. The vendor did refund the cost of the kit, but the two installations and the restoration costs were on the owner's dime.

STOL kits are available for the R182 w/ the same proviso. There is no such thing as a free lunch. If you need short/soft field capability, buy a stiff leg and put the STOL kit on the thing. The R182 has smaller main wheels that are not ideally suited to rough field use. That said, billiard table smoothe grass strips are fine and I've operated off several with success over the years.

If you're looking for speed improvements on the R182, you can legally add flap gap and aileron gap seals. After that, the speed formula is pretty much the same as for any other aircraft. A 100% spot-on rigging including bringing the ailerons and flaps to max allowable reflex. Wing angles can be set to ensure best speed by a sharp well practiced rigger. Ensure the airplane is flying straight w/ minimal trim. Straight is smoothe. Straight is Fast. You can also minimize some drag through careful blending and sealing of the wing strut seals. Ensure the nose gear doors close nicely and remove extraneous antenna especially clothes lines such as old ADFs. The OEM tail beacon can be replaced w/ a lower profile approved aftermarket item. Wing-tips by RMD can include HID Landing lamps and are an opportunity to tune the placement incidental to the installation. Find someone that knows what he is doing.

You want to minimize cooling drag and maximize cowl-flaps-closed engine cooling. The R182 has huge holes in the baffling around the starter and alternator pass-throughs. Also close off the edges at the oil cooler. Your baffle seals are likely OEM and sacked. Replace them all and ensure they are properly sculpted to the cowl. This alone is a project that will consume at least 10 man hours to be executed correctly. Don't skimp. Cowl Flap rigging is important so ensure they close flush. There are several overboard drains on the R182. Cut those drain tubes as close to flush as is possible. The battery acid overboard drain can be removed and the abscess sealed when you replace the battery w/ an AGM substitute. If you buy the battery from Wilco for the first time, you get the STC permission along w/ the package to keep your paperwork straight.

R182 specific speed mods I've seen have included plexi lens covers over the landing lamps but those are not 'approved' TTBOMK. Other unapproved mods include adding airflow trip triangular shaped bars 1.00" in front of the leading edges of the main gear wells. The triangles are equilateral and measure .25" per side, fashioned from PVC. When you fasten them to the airframe you are officially outside the rule-book and FARs.

It's a great airplane, have fun. Check out the two engine mods I posted above if you're still interested but be aware that the R182 w the OEM engine is a nice performer as-is. Note that if you undertake ALL of the speed mods listed above not the STOL or VG mods), you might see an increase of 3 kts max. It's still fun but the realistic ROI is not exceptional. Bigger engines will give more oomph but you pay the band in fuel burn for the privilege.

Best of luck,

Jeff C.
PP/SEL-I
Last Edit: 2 years 4 months ago by JEFFREYCHIPETINE.

182RG modifications....What can be done? 2 years 4 months ago #190

• Jeff S
  • Subscriber
Hi,
I was researching your your question about engine STC's for for the 182RG. I was told by several knowledgeable folks that there are none at this time. There are for the stiff legged 182 but not thr 182 RG.

What are you going to use your airplane primarily for? Do you plan on back country soft field operations? A STOL kit would be good. I have not seen any 182RG's with STOL kits, I'm not saying they aren't any out there, I just haven't seen any or talked to people that have STOL kits on RG's.In my mind a 182RG best used for long x/c and hard surfaced runways. That's just me.
I think an angle of attack indicator installation would be a great tool. I've flown aircraft with and without VG's. I think they work better on some airplanes than others. I've talked to several people that have been grounded because a VG was accidentally knocked off by a careless line guy. All VG's must be attached for the plane to be airworthy. The kit comes with replacement VG's and glue but it doesn't do you any good if you leave the spares in the hangar.
Good luck and have fun!!
Jeff

182RG modifications....What can be done? 2 years 4 months ago #186

Till this past August, I had operated an R182 for 12 yrs and over 2000 hrs. Mostly long XC and it's a great airplane for that application.

TTBOMK, there are no carb STC engine substitutions available. The carb and fuel distribution tubing on the R182 is not ideal and most find it difficult to run LOP if that is of interest. The infamous D mag is also often cited as undesirable. An engine change might be an opportunity to get away from the D-Mag and move to fuel injection. My personal operating experience w/ the D-Mag is that it is reliable, but must be maintained by a facility with deep knowledge of the magneto. I personally like the simplicity of the carb on the R182. Watch for weeps at the mixture control shaft towards the tail end of engine tbo.
I'ld also suggest that you consider a very careful check of the AN fitting that feeds the carb inlet as we know of one case where that fitting cracked causing an in-flight engine fire.

On to your question.... with a twist.

Alamo Aerospace offers a 260 HP fuel injected conversion with two independent magnetos that is accompanied by a three blade prop. No airframe mods are required.

www.alamoaerospace.com/page1/page3/index.html

AirPlains offers a 300 HP conversion also accompanied by a three blade. It too is fuel injected and comes with two independent magnetos. This conversion turns 2700 rpm max and I believe comes installed with two header tanks beneath the cabin sole.

Fuel consumption at 2500 rpm is quoted as 15-17 gph.

www.airplains.com/index.php/parts/engine-conversion?id=88

182RG modifications....What can be done? 2 years 5 months ago #182

• kent
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 2
Hello Cook11.
I assume you are a member and receive Cessna Flyer monthly. Our pages have many supported that offer modifications for better performance and efficiency. The forum is a great place to start to see what other pilots have done. If you are looking for a specific item drop me a line. One of the benefits of being a member is parts locating. If you have a moment to look at the digital magazines you will see an archive button on the far left side of the screen. Here you can browse the titles for related articles. The 182RG is a wonderful plane, you will have years of enjoyment and turn it into the flying machine you desire.

I might add to start....Wing X Stol -Knots 2 U -- Flint Aero -- Wag Aero just to name a few.
Last Edit: 2 years 5 months ago by kent.

182RG modifications....What can be done? 2 years 5 months ago #181

• cook11
  • Subscriber
I will be purchasing a 1978 182RG shortly with a high time engine on it and I am curious to know if there is a STC to install the carbureted 260hp engine from a Cherokee 6? Also are there any speed mods currently available for the 182RG's? What mods currently on the market are worth looking at? VG's, STOL kits etc..
Thanks!
Time to create page: 0.325 seconds