Cold weather operation on O 470

More
3 months 3 weeks ago #3266 by STEVE ELLS
Replied by STEVE ELLS on topic Cold weather operation on O 470
Hi Lyle;
I want you to take one other action when flying your O-470 engine during cold winter months.

The crankcase breather tube in that engine exits the case at the front of the engine into an aluminum tube that is routed aft before it exits at a hole in the aft baffle.

The "stuff" in these crankcase breather tubes is oil film droplets and water vapor. To keep the breather tube open, please lag the aluminum tube in closed cell insulation to insulate it. This prevents the tube becoming blocked if the water vapor freezes during cold weather ops.

It's OK to leave the tube insulation in place year round. It doesn't hurt anything and will lessen the build up of carbon and other contaminants in the tube.

If you remove the tube to install the lagging, make sure there aren't any deposits inside the tube. In my experience, this tube is not often cleaned out during an engine change.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 months 3 weeks ago #3265 by Bill Foulk
Replied by Bill Foulk on topic Cold weather operation on O 470
Painters tape isn't sticky or strong enough. Been using Duct tape 20 plus years. No issues.

More
4 months 1 week ago #3250 by CHRIS ERKMANN
Replied by CHRIS ERKMANN on topic Cold weather operation on O 470
I'm having the same issue w my factor rebuilt O-470R that has 30 hours on it. I have to work to get the oil-T up beyond 160F. The aluminum hi-vac tape is the answer. Thanks for trying the new vernatherm as it shows me that it is not the answer.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jen D

More
4 months 2 weeks ago #3240 by STEVE ELLS
Hi Ron,

Thanks for sharing your tips.

Best,
Steve

More
4 months 2 weeks ago #3238 by Ronald Pogatchnik
Replied by Ronald Pogatchnik on topic Cold weather operation on O 470
I tape with 3m tape used for air conditioning ducts.
I have to completely cover oil cooler
In order to get just 165 degrees temp in winter. I even have to cover 1/2 in summer.
Seems engine does not produce enough power to get oil hot enough.
I even bought a new Vernatherm
175 degrees thinking it was bad.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jen D

More
4 months 3 weeks ago #3221 by STEVE ELLS
Hi Lyle;
There are pictures of the winterization parts in the service manual for your airplane. I have used tape over the oil cooler in the past.

I have some Frog tape but I wouldn't recommend using it to block off my cooler because I don't know how hard it would be to remove next spring. My experience with duct tape is that leaves a real gummy residue that's a struggle to remove. Will Frog Tape do that? I don't know.

What I would use if I lived in a cold climate is this tape: www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/cspages/3mproptape.php .

I have gotten similar metal tape at my local auto paint store--it's tough and it doesn't leave much of a residue.

Steve

Time to create page: 0.164 seconds