Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Buying former Canadian plane

Buying former Canadian plane 9 months 3 weeks ago #787

• Ed Fogle
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Thanks Steve. The plane has been in the U.S. under U.S. registration for several years. Will verify logs are continuous. Was wondering if Canadians keep maintenance records differently from us.

Ed
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Buying former Canadian plane 9 months 3 weeks ago #786

• STEVE ELLS
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 27
Hi Ed;
If this airplane has a U.S. N number, you're ahead. If it has a Canadian ID (that begins CF-) than I believe you'll have to verify that every component such as tires, instruments, etc. is an approved component in the U. S.
If you brought an airplane to me for an annual after it had been operated in Canada for years, I would conduct a very thorough inspection to made sure it complied with the Type Certificate or Pilot's Operating Handbook as far as placards, and that all the airworthiness directives that applies to the airplane, engine, prop, and all accessories had been complied with.
I recommend that you contact one of the title search companies in Oke City (type aircraft title search into your favorite search engine) to determine if the title is clear.
You can also obtain a complete FAA file on the airplane by contacting the FAA Registry office at: registry.faa.gov/aircraftinquiry/.
The FAA regulations specify that there be "aircraft maintenance records," there's no mandate for these records to be entered into a logbook, per se. So I suggest that you're looking for a continuous stream of records showing regular oil and filter changes, and regular flying activity.
It may take some desk work to get a good picture of the airplane history but I believe it will be time well spent.
Good luck,
Please let me know about your experience and decision on this matter.
Steve

Buying former Canadian plane 9 months 3 weeks ago #785

• Ed Fogle
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
I am considering purchasing an airplane that is currently U.S. registered but has spent some years under Canadian registration. What are some of the thinks I need to know, particular in regards logbooks and other maintenance records, title security, etc.

Thanks
Time to create page: 0.204 seconds