Cracked Oil Sump

More
7 months 1 week ago #1806 by Steve Rhode
Replied by Steve Rhode on topic Cracked Oil Sump
Scary stuff. Glad it ended without an alternative landing.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 months 1 week ago #1805 by STEVE ELLS
Replied by STEVE ELLS on topic Cracked Oil Sump
Hi Kent;
Thank you very much for following up with this report.
I have always heard that Western Skyways was very good.
Happy Flying,
Steve

More
7 months 1 week ago #1804 by KENT VANDENBERG
Replied by KENT VANDENBERG on topic Cracked Oil Sump
I would like to provide a final prologue to my cracked oil sump issue. My last post was when I had just returned from the “Customer Witness Teardown” at Western Skyways and the engine was on its way back to me. My A&P got it installed and he test flew it. Returned to service. I flew it the next day and it was like nothing ever happened. The final matter was the FBO invoice for the engine removal and re-installation. The FBO sent the invoice to Western Skyways, and about two weeks later, the full invoice was paid by Western with no haggling or reluctance. I want to give a very positive endorsement to Western Skyways for the entire process of how they took care of this issue under their warranty, and how they took care of me, being always willing to answer any and all questions I had. I would not hesitate to recommend Western Skyways of Montrose, CO based on the excellent service I received from them.

More
8 months 4 weeks ago #1680 by Carl Ziegler
Replied by Carl Ziegler on topic Cracked Oil Sump
I had to rack my history to think if I had seen a cracked pan before. Yes, decades back had a B58 baron with io520 that was driving the owner nuts with a pesky oil stain. ON pulling the cowl, low and behold had a small crack in pan radius. I would consider it very rare, but can see how the one it this thread suffered vibration fatigue..

More
8 months 4 weeks ago #1678 by STEVE ELLS
Replied by STEVE ELLS on topic Cracked Oil Sump
Hi Kent;
I recommend that you get airbag ( inflatable) seat belts when you upgrade. They are available and provide much more protection than any other seat belt combination.
Here's an article from AvWeb: : amsafe.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/Ai...viation-Consumer.pdf .
The AmSafe website is www.amsafe.com .

I also like the plan to get some training in a glider. I'm planning to do that too.

More
8 months 4 weeks ago #1677 by Steve Rhode
Replied by Steve Rhode on topic Cracked Oil Sump
I think you might relate to my post over here .

I just happen to be reading Manifesto by Mike Busch and Page 18 will hit home with you about young engines having more issues. It has a nice chart of engine time versus issues. It's that infant mortality that you mentioned.

Your plan sounds perfectly logical. In fact, it is the approach I take most of the time. I broke my rule last week and flew at night and had an oil pressure sender issue. That gets your attention over the great black expanse below. If you see that post I linked to it will give you the sad story.

What I'm about to say may sound counterintuitive and maybe I'm fooling myself but after having lived through several significant issues in the air I think I've started to build up an orderly approach to dealing with these things. I certainly don't panic as much as I did the very first time I had an emergency.

To be scared is normal. But to learn from it is admirable.

These things always rock you out of your comfort zone and anyone who says otherwise is not being honest.

I'll admit it, it takes me a few flights after an incident to get back feeling comfortable again.

Time to create page: 0.115 seconds