Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Autopilot Cessna

Autopilot Cessna 1 month 3 weeks ago #1630

Hello,
Thanks again for your advise.
I could also go on a 182Turbo there is some in good condition. In term of load it would be enough for my use...but I like the injection engine. Less risk of icing ...
Except 2 seats less what is the difference betwwen the 182 and 206. The 182 has good perfo ... not much less than a 206.
What about the maintenance cost, more or less the same ?
To manage the turbo on the 182 is complicated ?
Both of them could suit me
Crystal River is 100 mile north from Tampa Bay in Florida.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Autopilot Cessna 1 month 3 weeks ago #1627

• STEVE ELLS
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 45
Hello again Alain;
Thank you for your kind offer. At present I have no plans to visit Sardegna, but it could happen.
The 206 is a much heavier airplane than any of the common trainers; but it's not "hard" to fly. It has no bad habits that will bite you but you have to always realize that you will need to adjust the pitch trim much more often with the 206. My advice would be to start out flying it without too much of load on board. Perhaps just you and your instructor. Then as you get more comfortable with the 206, start to add more and more weight to experience the difference and learn how to safely fly a fully loaded 206.
I have attached the SID for your airplane, as you pointed out, the one I sent before does not apply to your 1979 206.
Cessna printed what's called a "Flat Rate" manual. It contains Cessna's estimates on how many hours each annual inspection and major maintenance item should take.
For instance, Cessna cites 18 man hours as the time required to perform a 100 hour or annual inspection.
Engine installation is quoted at 29 hours. I believe that applies to removal of one and re installation or installation of another engine.
I am not an expert on avionics but I do know that Garmin has a good reputation, and I've heard the support is good too.
I live out in California on what's known as the Central Coast in a town called Paso Robles.
Where is Crystal River??
Keep in touch.
Best,
Steve

Autopilot Cessna 1 month 3 weeks ago #1619

Hello Steve,
Thanks so much four you nice and complete answer. It a pleasure to read you advise as you must have "some" years of experience.
The Cessna 206 I am interested of has a total hours of 5'230. They have rebuilt the engine totaly ... as you can see on the pic... the engine has been dismounted.

The owner ask about 120 K and is ready to discuss. It seems to be a good deal according to the market.

As I said on my presentation. I am a new PPL pilote I will finish my licence here in Switzerland quite soon. Then I will go to Florida for 6 weeks to pass my FAA license and also to get some experience.
I flew since 25 years with paragliding and glider... now I need to manage an engine ;)
My goal are basically local flight, and also to fly from Switzerland to Sardegna (Italy) which is about 350NM included 100 Nm over the sea.
I was thinking about the 337... I love that plane but here in Switzerland there are not allowed on some airport because of the in adition the maintenance cost afraid me a bit.

Some question... if you have time to answer :

- Is the 206 a safe plane for a pilote with low experience like me ?
- Any difficulties to notes on those models
- How many do you count for standard annual maintenance ?
- Easy to fly ?
- Concerning the auto pilote there is no rush... I will need first to get used to the plane.. But I think it better to have one. I guess for my use a 2 axis would be enough.
- What do you think about the Garmin Radio / transponder / GPS GTN 650 or 375.
- The check maintenance control document you sent me is until 1976 .... as the one I am interested in is a 1979... is that important ?

I will be in the states in Crystal river to train for 6 weeks... where do you live ?

And if you come to Sardegna my doors are open for you ... www.osud.ch

Warm regards

Alain
Last Edit: 1 month 3 weeks ago by Alain Bosco.

Autopilot Cessna 1 month 3 weeks ago #1618

• STEVE ELLS
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 45
Hi Alain;
The 206 G is a workhorse. Many have been worked very hard and have accumulated thousands of "working" hours and as a consequence are a little rough.
Overall, the airframe is very strong and durable.
Cessna has published documents called SIDs for Supplemental Inspection Documents for the 200 series of its single engine airplanes. I have attached the SID for your 206. Use it as a guide when performing detailed and scheduled maintenance inspections.
As far as an autopilot; yes you can buy a refurbished used autopilot. For decades Bendix King, Century and S-Tec (now Genesys were the options.
Today, Garmin, Genesys, Avidyne, Trutrak, Vizion and Dynon offer new autopilots. But not all companies have their autopilots approved for installation in your 206.
The first step in buying an autopilot is determining what capabilites you need. Do you need a simple wing leveler? a two axis, or a fully coupled autopilot that can control the airplane from just after takeoff to 200 feet above touchdown.
With increased capabilities come increased cost.
I suggest you type "Cessna 206 autopilot" into your favorite search engine or in the YouTube search box to learn more about the different types and why some people choose one over another.
Prior to buying a used autopilot--there are some listed on ebay--check with the manufacturer to see if it will issue an approval to install that particular unit in your airplane.
I've heard that some manufacturers charge a pretty good sum for the approval paperwork.
Let me know how I can help further
Steve

File Attachment:

File Name: 68-76206SID.pdf
File Size:2,507 KB

Autopilot Cessna 1 month 3 weeks ago #1617

Hello,

I will probably buy a Cessna U206 G - 1979.
It is a very clean unit with 0 hours on engine and prop. It does not have an autopilot.

- what to say or that model
- what kind of autopilote you advise me... any possibility to find a use one ?

Thanks for your answers.

Alain

PS... As I said I am a new pilote... with low experience for now.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.098 seconds