Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Landing gear doors slow to close (gear up)

Landing gear doors slow to close (gear up) 1 year 1 month ago #692

• STEVE ELLS
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 27
Hi Bill,
Glad that proved to be the problem.
The part number for those switches (they're all the same) is S1377-1; if you go to a few Cessna parts suppliers they will advise that the new Cessna number is P6-340005; list price $618.27. Don't buy one of those.
By typing the part number in your favorite search engine many options will appear.
You can buy new old stock (NOS) switches from a bunch of companies that will be listed in www.controller.com when you do a Google search.
The search will also show vendors in used parts. Every reputable used parts dealer I know of offers a guarantee.
Wouldn't hurt to have one on the shelf.
Best,
Steve
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Landing gear doors slow to close (gear up) 1 year 1 month ago #691

Steve,
I looked at all the switches and found them to be secure and the wires good also, so I took my multi meter and found that the right main switch was intermittent and a little dirty so I cleaned it with some contact cleaner and hit it with some wd40 and the problem went away, I also cleaned all the switches (up and down) the same way after I came back, did some touch and goes and everything working as it should,

"Always do the cheap stuff first"

Thanks for your help, do you know a place that has those switches/ at some point they need to be new, 50 years is pretty good service.

Thanks again Bill

Landing gear doors slow to close (gear up) 1 year 1 month ago #689

• STEVE ELLS
  • Expert Boarder
Thanks,
Here is the sequence:
That landing gear sequence
The following is the sequence of actions that occur when the landing gear handle of a 1968 Cessna 210 is moved to the up position:
(1) Following the movement of the gear handle to up, fluid flows through a check valve then through the solenoid-operated door-control valve to the gear-priority valve. The door-control valve is in the door-open position when the gear control valve is moved out of the neutral position.
(2) Fluid flows to the door-control actuators and the doors open. The pressure to move the door actuator pistons is less than the pressure to unlock and move the landing gear, so when the door-control pistons reach the door-open limit of travel in the cylinders, pressure builds, and (3) opens the gear-priority valve allowing fluid to flow to (4) pull back the down locks and (5) flow on to the gear actuating cylinders.
(6) The gear legs move to the up position. Once the gear legs are fully up, (7) a switch on each gear is closed which causes the door control valve to move to the door-closed position, (8) causing fluid pressure to flow to the door closed side of the door-actuating cylinder to close the doors.
Once the doors are fully closed, pressure again builds up and (9) activates a three- to nine-second time delay valve. After three to nine seconds, fluid flows to the (10) gear handle release valve, and the handle returns to neutral.

So if everything works well except the doors don't always close, or the closing sequence is erratic, I would first look at each of the gear up switches on the landing gear. You should find a sticky switch, or a switch that isn't tight on its mount, or a loose wire on one of the switches.
You can double-check this supposition by checking to see if the door control solenoid (it's located on the forward side of the power pack) is being actuated the second all three gear are fully up in the wells a switch on each gear will close completing the circuit to energize the door control solenoid.. You can listen for movement or feel for the movement.
Let me know what you find.

Landing gear doors slow to close (gear up) 1 year 1 month ago #688

Steve,
Thanks for the reply, the gear works normally, except when retracted the doors will stay open the amount of time will vary, sometimes a few seconds sometimes a few minutes,
I have a mule, at the last annual the gear worked nomally on the mule, the problem surfaced just after the annual, I suspect some air got in the system, the manual has a proceedure to bleed by turning the master on and off with the engine running, I also suspect that a switch may be out of adjustment that tells the system that the wheels are up and to close the doors, unfortunately the local fbo a Cessna dealer is less informed than I am,

Thanks in advance for any help Bill

Landing gear doors slow to close (gear up) 1 year 1 month ago #687

• STEVE ELLS
  • Expert Boarder
Hi Bill, The T210F is a good airplane. The landing gear extension and retraction system in your 210 is the same system (with a few tiny changes) used in 210s built from 1965 through 1971.
Question: Do you know if the doors OPEN slowly?
Solutions: 1) there may be air in the system. The service manual suggests actuating the gear up/gear down cycle a few times while the airplane is on jacks and hooked to a hydraulic mule. If you don't have a mule, you can probably bleed the system by actuating the gear up and down a few times while in flight.
According to the manual gear up time--including doors closed-- should be 10.5 seconds (+5 seconds, - 0 seconds) while gear down time--including door closed-- should be 7.5 seconds (+9 seconds, -2 seconds). These times does not include the the time for the gear handle to return to neutral; only the times for the gear to travel up/down and the doors to completely close.
So I have to ask, how long does it take for the doors to close completely during the gear up cycle? The maximum time should be 15.5 seconds.
Please let me know how many seconds it takes for the doors to close during the gear up cycle.
Thanks,
Steve

Landing gear doors slow to close (gear up) 1 year 1 month ago #686

• Jen D
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 6
Checking with Steve Ells. Will get back to you soon.
Jen
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.212 seconds