Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Flaps retracting on their own

Flaps retracting on their own 3 months 3 days ago #987

• STEVE ELLS
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 27
Jim; You described the operation very clearly. It sounds like it's time to buy some new parts, or some used serviceable parts.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Flaps retracting on their own 3 months 3 days ago #984

Hi Steve, Thanks for your response. Looking at the diagram, I had the same first impression on how the brake system functions. The coupling is not the brake. It's just the interface between motor and transmission. The brake lining is located on the spring which is connected to the solenoid. At first glance the spring looks like part of the bracket, more like a leaf spring. The spring applies force to the drum preventing it from spinning when the flap handle is neutral. When the flap switch is depressed the motor engages, along with the solenoid allowing the drum to spin freely. The brake is adjustable as the brake lining wears down. The solenoid is attached by two screws on a slotted adjustable bracket. What I found is that the brake lining, or brake pad itself is worn to the point of being gone completely so unfortunately mine is beyond adjustment. The first indication of brake failure, or need for adjustment is drift in the flaps when moving them, after the flap handle returns to center. -Jim

Flaps retracting on their own 3 months 3 days ago #981

• STEVE ELLS
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 27
Hi James;
I believe the problem is an inoperative or weak flap motor brake.
The brake consists of a solenoid what extends a plunger when the flap position switch is moved to neutral. The plunger bares against a rubber part called a coupling in the parts book.
If the solenoid is OK, you should be able to hear it clicking when the flap switch is moved; then it could be that the coupling is glazed or worn. Try to rough up the surface of the coupling or rub it with a solvent to de glaze it.
If it still doesn't work, new couplings and solenoids are available from Cessna.
Although the drawing I've attached says 182 serial numbers, the exact same drawing is included in the 210 parts book.
The new part number for the coupling is C-301001-0211.
Let me know what you find.
Attachments:

Flaps retracting on their own 3 months 1 week ago #978

I have just started flying my 1964 Cessna 210D and while flying the pattern yesterday my instructor and I discovered the flaps drifting back to neutral on their own. We did a go-around and tested the flaps again to verify that this was happening, and indeed they would slowly drift back on their own shortly after dropping them down. The 64's are the first year electric flaps were used. Upon visual inspection the worm gear looks to be intact. Has anyone here experienced this? What might the possible cause(s) be?
Time to create page: 0.481 seconds