Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: First time buyer and getting a pre-purchase inspection

First time buyer and getting a pre-purchase inspection 4 days 1 hour ago #1357

• BOB WEBER
  • Subscriber
  • Thank you received: 1
Tim that aircraft could be a bit of a hand full for a first time buyer. It is a wonderful example of a retract single for sure, but it has 55 years of history. I would be all over the logs myself, looking for any damage history, major modifications, etc. The avionics are likely not original, who/how many people did the work. Crawling up under the instrument panel can give you a pretty good idea as well. I have seen and been a part of many great outcomes of acquiring old aircraft, I have also seen nightmares that will change you. I would suggest getting some pictures inside and out, that will give us more to discuss!

Bob Weber
Autopilot Consulting
WebairConsulting.com
Last Edit: 4 days 1 hour ago by BOB WEBER.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tim Dodson

First time buyer and getting a pre-purchase inspection 5 days 11 hours ago #1356

• DOUGLAS VINCENT
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
Suggest you purchase Cessna Pilot Association book on 210 annual inspection. Also other good books on 210 there.

First time buyer and getting a pre-purchase inspection 2 weeks 4 days ago #1349

• STEVE ELLS
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 38
Hi Tim;
The 1964 210 is a good airplane. Cessna had gotten most of the bugs out of the early model 210s by 1964.
I strongly suggest you take this airplane to Phil Kirkham and his crew at Coastal Valley Aviation in Santa Maria, CA (KSMX) for the pre buy. Phil has extensive knowledge of the Cessna 210 series. The phone there is 805-928-7701.
My recommendation is to get the seller to agree to an annual inspection since the definition and scope of a "pre-buy" varies from shop to shop.
A full on annual is the only way you will know about the airworthiness of this 210. And the only way you'll have the information you'll need to negotiate with the seller on the final price.
You're wise in being a little bit hesitant to take it to a shop that specializes in Beechcraft airplanes. Both airplanes have wings, tail, engines and cabin but there are many details of each that are known only to experienced maintainers of that model of airplane.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tim Dodson

First time buyer and getting a pre-purchase inspection 2 weeks 5 days ago #1348

Ok.....I have been on the search for several months and have found an 1964 210D that "looks" good and its local to me here in the California central valley. As a first time buyer I am a bit apprehensive, especially since the airplane is from the mid 1960's. Anyway I have read enough to know I need a pre-purchase form someone with experience with the make\model being inspected. I do have some contacts that have been referred to me that can perform the pre-purchase however they tend to be Beehcraft experts. Is there a resource to find a local or semi-local shop\firm that can do an inspection and have experience with 210's? Also how serviceable are these mid 60's airplanes? Thanks for any advise.

Tim
Last Edit: 2 weeks 5 days ago by Tim Dodson.
Time to create page: 0.095 seconds