Purchase - 2 good options

More
3 months 4 weeks ago #2034 by Randall Comber
Thanks for the info...am aware of AD and most other 210 issues....was just looking from actual owner feedback..I had a couple of friends that have owned 210’s in the past, but nothing recently...hoping to get more current owner feedback . Hasn’t seemed to affect pricing yet..
Thanks again
Randy

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 months 4 weeks ago #2032 by STEVE ELLS
Hi Randall;
The 210 market is in flux right now due to a recent Airworthiness Directive (AD 2020-03-16) calling for a visual inspection and an eddy current inspection of the lower flange area of the wing spar carry through casting. It's an urgent AD that became effective on March 9 and has a very short compliance window (60 days).
Based on findings from an earlier Cessna Service bulletin, corrosion and in some cases cracks, are being found in more than a few airplanes. Light material removal (blending) of the corroded areas is allowed but if the corrosion pits are deeper than approximately on tenth of an inch, the part (and the airplane) is unairworthy until a new spar carry through part is installed.
Please do an extensive pre purchase inspection prior to putting your money down.

It's difficult to give you and estimate of year end maintenance costs. I have no idea what an annual will end up costing--the Cessna flat rate manual calls for 26 man hours for a 100 hour/annual inspection and even though Cessna publishes an annual inspection check list many shops feel that list is inadequate and have expanded it. The inspection usually covers some preventive maintenance tasks but not always.
The shop defines what's done under the heading of an annual.

Then there's the question of what needs to be done on the squawk list, what is a good idea to do at this annual and what can be deferred until next year. Again, these questions are often open to negotiation.

An oil/filter change cost is likely to be $200-250. The prevailing schools of aero maintenance is to do an oil change every 30-35 hours or every 4 months, whichever occurs first; that translates into around $750 in oil/filter changes over a 100 hour flying year.

Direct operating costs are fuel and oil. Plan for a fuel burn of 16 gph x $5.00 = $80/hr.

Hopefully, one of the Cessna Flyer readers will weigh in with some personal experience numbers.

I have attached a cost of owning worksheet. I hope this will help.

Steve
Attachments:

More
4 months 1 day ago #2031 by Randall Comber
Will be in the market for a 210 (1975 or newer)..used for business and pleasure about 100 hrs. Per year..average mission between 1and 2 hours..would like honest assessment of maintenance costs for normally aspirated model, not including avionics costs, and an honest IFR TAS at 7-8000 ft.
I have owned 310, baron, 206, debonair, and currently a cessna 180...I need the room and load carrying ability of the 210 now..
Thanks in advance
Randy

More
8 months 4 weeks ago #1704 by Jen D
Replied by Jen D on topic Purchase - 2 good options
Here's a link to an article Cessna FLYER's Steve Ells wrote about the 210:
www.cessnaflyer.org/cessna-singles/cessn...-of-the-singles.html

More
8 months 4 weeks ago #1699 by DOUGLAS VINCENT
I do not know the particulars;ar difference in th D & E models. Cessna Pilot Association does have good information about the various models.

The key is to obtain the best thorough pre purchase inspection you can find. That way you know exactly what you are getting for your money.

Remember you are purchasing a very old airplane eve if you purchase a newer 210.

While th nice paint and interior are satisfying do not be fooled. Remember you can put lipstick on a pig and will still have pig.

My personal feeling is that the airframe and physical systems are the most important. One can always install a new power plant and add other goodies. If the airframe is bad all is bad. If the airframe is good the the other items can be updated, with money.

If the aircraft does not have struts make sure the current problem oowit cross over is inspected.

Hope the few pointers helps. Enjoy the airplane whichever you buy.

More
9 months 1 day ago #1693 by STEVE ELLS
Hi Tim;
There's a rule of thumb that works for buyers. That rule is buy the best airplane and best equipped airplane you can get on your budget. ADS-B installations can be pretty inexpensive these days (depending on whether you get the 1090 ES or the 978 UAT) so that should not be the deciding factor.
What avionics are in the 1965? How does the 1965 avionics compare to the 1964?
You can get the FAA records for both airplanes on CD from the FAA or by email from one of the companies in Oklahoma City that provides title search services. These records will tell you if an airplane has suffered major airframe damage, where it has been based (dry country is much better that gulf coast for example) and other data that might affect your decision.
It's difficult for Cessna Flyer to recommend a competent maintenance shop at airports around the country, but if you'll tell me where the 1965 is based I'll try to find a reputable shop near it.
Let me know how I can help.
Steve
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kent Dellenbusch

Time to create page: 0.130 seconds