Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Recommended ILS procedure for 210D

Recommended ILS procedure for 210D 2 weeks 4 days ago #1730

I have an autopilot, but no altitude hold. It will track the localizer.
I am at Huntington, WV (HTS). I normally reduce power to 18” mp / 2300 rpm, 10 degree flaps near the airport.
It seems that at gs intercept, after lowering the gear, I am way above the white arc, which is where I need to be to extend flaps above 10 degrees.
My dilemma is that I need to slow down and go down at the same time!
As you suggested, I ordered Chuck McGill’s book.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Recommended ILS procedure for 210D 2 weeks 4 days ago #1727

• DOUGLAS VINCENT
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
Do you have an Auto Pilot if so type and does it follow the glide slope?

Where ae you located?

I have plane slowed down before intercepting the final approach.

Will send info as soon as I get it worked up in reasonable fashion.

Recommended ILS procedure for 210D 2 weeks 4 days ago #1726

Doug,
Thanks for your reply. I will get the Chuck McGill book, as you suggested.
My CFII did not have any 210 time, so we learned together. Like you, I prefer to lower the gear at the final fix. I have always struggled to get speeds under control, and this prompted my question.
Thanks,
Fred

Recommended ILS procedure for 210D 2 weeks 4 days ago #1725

• DOUGLAS VINCENT
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
Suggest book by Chuck McGill "Flying the Cessna 210". The Secrets Unlocked. Like most instruction booksit does not cover everything, but very informative.

I am writing up what my procedures and setting for an ILS/GPS approach and will send to you. After many years and many hours I prefer to put the gear down at the final fix. If all power setting are correct, flaps 10 Deg and speed 110 then dropping gear takes little if any adjustment. Will then decend at 500 to 600 ft per minute and no speed change. I fly a 1981 model so you may have to try different setting to get correct speeds.

A buddy/pilot experienced in a 210 flying with you is much more important & educational than an instructor that does not have a lot of 210 time.

Recommended ILS procedure for 210D 3 weeks 5 days ago #1707

I flew a 210D for 20 years. I usually lowered the gear when being vectored to the localizer and put in 10 degrees of flaps and 17 in. MP at glide slope interception for 100 to 110 airspeed, depending on wind. I'd extend full flaps when I had the field, or leave the 10 degrees in for initial climb on the missed. I'd get the climb established and initial heading set before retracting flaps and gear, and retrimmin, since it climbed fine in approach configuration.

Recommended ILS procedure for 210D 4 weeks 2 days ago #1695

Steve,
Thanks for the quick response. Obviously I lower (not retract) the gear at intercept as you surmised.
I had never questioned the procedure I had been taught by my flight instructor. Then I read in the manual that Cessna recommends lowering the gear early.
I was hoping to get the Cessna 210 fliers to chime in about how they do it.

Thanks,
Fred
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.103 seconds