210 brake fluid leak at gear leg pivot- Through bolt?

More
2 months 6 days ago #3100 by STEVE ELLS
My recent reply was meant for Michael.

Take a look at Zachary's post in this thread--I believe it will add weight to my suggestion.
Steve

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 months 6 days ago #3099 by STEVE ELLS
Hi Zachary,

I don't have any personal experience on those seals, but my gut feeling is that once the seals in one part of an assembly fail (due to age, etc.) it won't be long before the other same-type seals also need attention.

Before you dig in, I suggest you get every drop of hyd fluid out of that bay. Clean, Clean. It's remotely possible that you're seeing residual oil.

Best,
Steve

More
2 months 6 days ago #3098 by Michael Styer
Replied by Michael Styer on topic 210 brake fluid leak at gear leg pivot- Through bolt?
Steve, have you ever seen part “9” packing(s) fail and subsequent leak? I am trying to locate a leak on my right main. Some time back I replaced the seals that are circled in red but still have a small leak on that side. Thoughts???

• Zachary Brown
  • Zachary Brown's Avatar Topic Author
  • Subscriber
  • Subscriber
More
6 months 3 weeks ago #2897 by Zachary Brown
Replied by Zachary Brown on topic 210 brake fluid leak at gear leg pivot- Through bolt?
Will do Steve. we got the lower piece replaced and it still leaked (the part the gear leg went through, that is circled below). Today, we are replacing the upper seals (9 and 10, the whole pivot has to come out). Found one O ring completely cut in half in that assembly.

More
7 months 2 days ago #2881 by STEVE ELLS
Hi Zachary;

Refer to Paolo's response. He hit the nail on the head. That's where your leak is.

I believe the local mechanics grind the thread end of the right side bolt to a smooth end--they use it as an aligning punch prior to installing the final bolt (#31)

An interesting design, to say the least.

Take pictures, write an article giving details, parts needed, tricks used and hours to complete. Send it in, if necessary our editors will "tune it" for publication and then we will put it in the magazine so others can learn.

Best,
Steve

• PAOLO MONTANARI
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
More
7 months 2 days ago #2880 by PAOLO MONTANARI
Replied by PAOLO MONTANARI on topic 210 brake fluid leak at gear leg pivot- Through bolt?
look at the page 5-1 enclosed and at the parts 17 to 20 in the red circle of detail A.
I had a leakage there and it needed to put the airplane on jacks and disassembly the leg shaft.
Take care to mark the two parst of the leg to be able to reassemble correctly it.
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.202 seconds