C-182B Starting Problem

More
3 weeks 1 day ago #3543 by STEVE ELLS
Replied by STEVE ELLS on topic C-182B Starting Problem
Hi Gary,
My gut tells me it either the starter contactor or the starter switch.
Since you're handy with an ammeter, I expect you also know how to do a continuity (ohms) check of circuits.

Test the switch for continuity and that the ground connection for the switch is solid with zero resistance.

I've seen contactors that failed to re open after the engine started--that creates a nightmare of a problem. When the contactor is "welded" shut, the starter keeps turning,

Aircraft Spruce sells a starter contactor for around $120. Here's a link: www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/elpages/solenoidx610030.php .

Let me know what you find.

Steve

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Gary Shaffer
  • Gary Shaffer's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
More
3 weeks 3 days ago #3541 by Gary Shaffer
C-182B Starting Problem was created by Gary Shaffer
From time to time, when I push the starter button, all I hear is a little click. Usually, if I try again, it starts normally. Last week, after one great flight, I tried to start it again, but got nothing, even after many tries. I gave up, put it back in the hangar, removed the top cowling, but saw no obvious problems. Decided to troubleshoot by checking the ammeter when hitting the starter button (mags off, mixture idle cutoff, brakes set, of course), and it turned instantly. Tried 10 more times and it turned every time. Of course, by that time, the customers had left. My A&P is too busy to look at it. The starter is a Sky-Tec that's a few years old. The solenoid looks way older. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.122 seconds