Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: 172 M fuel smell

172 M fuel smell 6 months 2 weeks ago #624

• JOHNMCDONALD
  • Subscriber
  • Thank you received: 2
I’ve been dealing with fuel smells as well in my 172M. It only occurs when the tanks are full and the plane has been sitting for a while. The problem was the sending units on the top of the tanks were leaking. The fuel was mainly coming from where the wires enter the top of the units. We used pro seal on both units which stopped the leak on one but not the other, so we replaced that one with a new unit. We had problems with the new one leaking through the gasket. The top of the tank was uneven – it looks like a previous owner had over tightened the unit, probably trying to stop the leak, and that deformed the lip of the opening. My mechanic built his own tool to straighten the lip, which helped a lot but was still leaking a bit. He tightened it more last week and it seems to be OK now. I’ll be watching it closely over the next several months to make sure.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jen D, MPUTNAM

172 M fuel smell 10 months 4 weeks ago #560

• STEVE ELLS
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 15
Hi Mitch;
Has your mechanic removed the sheet metal covers over the wing tanks? A friend wrote in a few years ago with a similar squawk. He reported that he found a small hole in top surface of one tank due to abrasion from one of the tank tie down straps.
Your 172 has two welded aluminum tanks, one in each wing.
Check it out and let me know what you find.
The following user(s) said Thank You: MPUTNAM

172 M fuel smell 11 months 3 weeks ago #555

• MPUTNAM
  • Subscriber
Hi All,

I am having an intermittment fuel smell in a 172 M. It seems that the fuel smell is worse when the tanks are full and seems to lessen as fuel is consumed. Our A&P has investigated the problem twice and was unable to find the source of the smell.

Has any of the members run across this situation? Any suggestions would
be welcomed.

Best regards,

Mitch
Time to create page: 0.249 seconds