Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Starter problems

Starter problems 4 months 1 week ago #951

• Ed Fogle
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Thanks Steve, you came through with such a quick simple solution. I'll try it.
Ed
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Starter problems 4 months 1 week ago #950

• STEVE ELLS
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 27
Ed, Instead of trying to determine a reason, I suggest you disconnect your aux starter circuit from the airplane electrical system and see if that does the trick.
S

Starter problems 4 months 2 weeks ago #941

• Ed Fogle
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
182P with a Peterson IO-470-F conversion.

I've been chasing a starter problem for eight months. It starts most of the time but occasionally won't. When the problem occurs there is no movement of the prop and the voltage drops so much the JPI EDM-900 goes blank. We have checked all of the cable connections, the resistance of the cable from the battery contractor to the starter contactor, changed the starter contactor and had the starter opened and checked. The starter had some issues with the brushes that were addressed.

Works for a few weeks then same problem. No turn with starter switch engagement. My thinking is the starter has a bad spot in the armature and when it stops on that place there is a dead short.

Here's the question. A friend had what he says is the identical problem on an old 182, probably 1950's vintage. They had solenoids that are field serviceable whereas mine are sealed so can only be exchanged, if I am correct. After doing all of the same things I have done with no improvement on his airplane he had about given up. But, one day he looked at the solenoid next to his auxiallary power plug and noticed it had green corrosion on it. He removed, disassembled and cleaned it. Bingo, no problems from then on.

Now everyone says there is no possible way the auxiliary power solenoid can have anything to do with normal starting. He must have confused it for the starter solenoid. But he insists on what he did and the results are as he describes them and that I should replace my aux plug contactor.

My question to all of you, could he be right and everyone else wrong?

Thanks,
Ed
Time to create page: 0.256 seconds