Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Oil Cooler

Oil Cooler 1 month 2 weeks ago #1649

• M P B
  • Subscriber
Mr Ellis,

Ordered overhauled part from Air Parts in Lock Haven as you described. My “core” goes back to them. Believe cost is about $ 600.00.
Thanks you again for your input.

MPB in KMEI.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Oil Cooler 1 month 3 weeks ago #1642

• M P B
  • Subscriber
Mr Ellis,

Correction to my solution. Slight mixup, but problem should be rectified in another way. Will get info from mechanic early next week.

Thank you for your info as I shared it with mechanic.

MPB at KMEI

Oil Cooler 1 month 3 weeks ago #1635

• STEVE ELLS
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 45
Hey M P B;
If you have time, please tell me what he ordered?
There was a time around 1976-77 when Cessna started incorporating an electrical OT system; I assumed your airplane still had the capillary type system, Did I miss the mark??
Thanks
Steve

Oil Cooler 1 month 3 weeks ago #1633

• M P B
  • Subscriber
Thank you, Mr. Steve Ellis. Mechanic has located and ordered the appropriate part.

MPB in KMEI

Oil Cooler 1 month 3 weeks ago #1625

• STEVE ELLS
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 45
Hi MPB;
The original oil temperature set up on your 182 was a Bourdon Tube--also called capillary tube) type set up. A largeish bulb is held into the oil cooler with a collared nut. A wire wound tube comes out of the bulb, and is routed through the firewall to the temperature gauge in your instrument panel.
According to my parts book, the part number for a new gauge from Cessna is G442786-63. But Cessna has not been supplying any Stewart Warner instruments for a long time. In 1984 Cessna issued Single Engine Bulletin (SEB) 94-17. This bulletin announced that Cessna was no longer able to obtain Stewart Warner replacement parts so was making similar parts from Rochester instruments available. Unfortunately, to install a Rochester oil temperature replacement gauge, the instrument cluster had to be changed. The part number for the Rochester OT gauge is SK182-103-1, but SK182-103-0 must be installed first. Oddly, the 1976 182 is not listed in the applicability listing for this kit. It's just as well, as far as I can tell the cost of the two kits exceeds $5000 before installation.
One company that repairs the capillary type of temp sensing set up is Air Parts of Lock Haven (www.airpartsoflockhaven.com) in Pennsylvania. The repair requires that the bulb, all of the capillary tube and the instrument be removed and sent to Air Parts for repair.
The price quoted was $114 but I would double check that prior to sending.
If you have an aftermarket engine monitor, it would use a different type of oil temperature set up.
I hope this answers your question.
Let me know if you need further help.
Steve
The following user(s) said Thank You: M P B

Oil Cooler 1 month 3 weeks ago #1621

• M P B
  • Subscriber
The thermocouple on my 1976 Cessna 182, engine Cont. O 470 R ; wire broke at thermocouple. Anyone know a replacement part source.
Time to create page: 0.104 seconds